1995 Altima bad gas milage and hesitation

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
davidscheiber28
Car: Dad's: 1995 Nissan Altima GXE
Mine: to be determined

I recently have been working on my Dad's 1995 Nissan Altima and was made aware that the gas milage was really bad (10-20 mpg) when my dad used to get around 30 mpg, my dad has also mentioned that it hesitates. He had previously taken it to his buddies at the Nissan dealership but they could never figure it out. The service guys knew him well, he gave them lots of business maintaining the car, he did oil changes on time, and always made sure it was in good running condition with replacement oxygen sensors a new ecu new filters and once a few years ago he paid them 1,000 dollars to install new pulleys (which required partial engine disassembly)
The issues with gas millage and hesitation were partially fixed when I replaced vacuum line B going from the fuel vapor canister but the issues still persist (slightly less so now)
If you are wondering what work me and my Dad have done
the first thing we did was de-sulfate the battery and charge it up, after moving (thats what we were prepping the car for)
we did various things
we got a new ac compressor belt (still needs a recharge I think as the compressor is not engaging)
fixed all burned out bulbs (left front blinker still not working but I think the socket might need replacing)
did a power steering fluid flush (steering was "juddering" for lack of a better word)
replaced brake pads (on our way to an auto parts store the metal part of the pad started to scrape I think)
refilled brake fluid (still need to bleed the brakes as pumping is slightly required)
and patched some rust holes that caused the trunk to get water leaked into

We also had the check engine light checked at auozone (with their 20 dollar OBD2 scanner) and the codes that came out were for the EGR valve, the idle air control valve (ima get some carb cleaner and clean both of them) and two sensors, the knock sensor and the camshaft position sensor(yes camshaft not crankshaft sensor).

The car has no other issues (that I can see) other that sometimes some of what I think is valve noise.

davidscheiber28

forgot to mention but the alternator is also replaced as the brake light and the battery light had come on (anyone know why the brake light turns on along with the battery light?)

davidscheiber28

are the issues just caused by what is causing the check engine light?
we are going to fix try and fix all the stuff appearing

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

Egr valve issues can cause bad gas mileage and even false IAC valve codes because it makes the car have trouble idling. You can check the egr valve by pushing up on the diaphragm, and seeing if the car stalls. You can also snap the throttle and feel for movement.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”