1994 Maxima DOHC Lifter Tap?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Redruin

I have 1994 maxima with a DOHC engine. It is not the original engine, so I am not sure what year it is, but it has a sound like a lifter tap when the engine first starts. The tap continues until the engine is warm, or until you put pressure on the engine, like stepping on the gas about half way to the floor. I haven't had this car long, so I am not up on all the technical specs like I am sure the rest of you are.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does this engine have hydraulic lifters or are they solid? Any help anyone could offer is much appreciated.

NISTECH

you have a bad VTC . the large ummm bumps at the front of the valve covers are where they are located(passenger side of engine compartment) they are part of the timing chain cam gear. when they get week they do that. there is a soloniod plug right near that area try disconnecting it before you start the car if the sound is not present with it unplugged that is your problem and it needs replacement. btw its not a fun job because it bolts up from the side (or belt side) of engine. and chain work is involved.

s13s130

my 95 has a simular issue but it dosnt go away after its warm it just ticks and ticks sounds like my 240z when the valves are way out of adjustment could it be the same diagnosis ?

NISTECH

your 95 is a different engine.

s13s130

sorry ,do you have any idea what the ticking might be on my car?

NISTECH

on your car i am not sure. i will give it some thought and see if i can remember any incedents i have dealt with. but off the top of my head I cant remember any specific internal engine problems on the A-32 max they have been very reliable engines over the years. I will let you know if i remember anything specific.

s13s130

thank you very much its only got 89k on it im hoping its nothing major it runs great but that ticking cant be normal ive herd vg30,s make that noise and swaping the lifter unit out fixed it they must have lost their seals or something but ive never been under the valve cover of the vq motor this is the 1st one ive had of these

Redruin

I have looked at the engine and cannot see any solenoid plug to disconnect in the area you mentioned. I see a large plug near the plenum on each head in the area of the fuel rails. Is this the plug for the solenoid? Also, the engine is not the original one, so I don't know exactly what year it is, if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for your help

NISTECH

well as long as it is a ve30 de engine it should have them. i believe they are 2 wire connectors colored yellow.

Redruin

I looked again for those VTR connectors and still don’t see them. Will they be on the front of the timing cover or on top of the engine? Are the wires yellow or are the connectors yellow? Is there another twin cam engine besides the VE30DE? Is there a model number on the engine somewhere?

If I may, I would like to ask another question. The low beam headlights don’t work on the car. I have checked the connectors at the headlights and there is no positive voltage when the lights are on low. I would like to hunt it down with a wiring diagram, but barring that do you have any ideas as to where to look for the problem?

Again, thanks for your help.

NISTECH

your head lamp switch is mostlikely the cause but check the 2 head lamp fuses in the engine bay to be safe first. since you have high beams I doubt thats the problem. the VTC connector should be located on the passenger side of the engine bay near the back comming from the side of the head. the connector may be yellow. the wires not sure off the top of my head what color they are. I am also not 100% sure the connector is either but will check factory service manual today to be sure. in 95 and up maxs they got a different dual cam engine VQ30DE which didnt have those connectors. the easiest way to tell is the valve cover the newer VQ engine had nissan on the front valve cover the VE didnt. I will do some FSM reasearch for ya today.

NISTECH

S13 i have not come up with anything on your engine noise but will keep it in the back of my mind and will post in redruin's thread here if i do.

s13s130

cool i also made a new post on the online nissan mech board still confussed sorry to pirate your post redruin i thought we might have same issue guess not good luck to you

NISTECH

I posted in your online post s13.

redruin I looked in the fsm today i was a little off on the location of the connectors. they are located on the insides of both heads. look for a long large bolt looking thing gold in color i believe. there should be a connector on the end of each of them. they are located near the timing chain cover between the heads. color of the connectors was not specified in the fsm but if you look for the long large bolts with connectors on the end you'll have 'em. disconnect it before starting the car and see if your noise is gone.

Redruin

I looked at the valve cover and it does say Nissan on it so I suppose it is the VQ30DE. Will the valve covers from a VE30DE interchange? If the noise is not the VTR, do you have any other suggestions as to what the noise might be? To me, it does sound like a lifter tap, but I thought that my engine has solid tappets. The noise is VERY loud when the car starts and goes completely away when the engine warms or you depress the accelerator more than half way.

Also, I think the water pump on my Maxima is leaking. How much of a pain are they to change?

Again, you have been a huge help.

NISTECH

ok first if you have a VQ on there that is an interesting swap. to identify the 2 engines valve covers do this. hope it comes across as clear as it is in my head. the valve cover toward the radiator on a VQ has a black ban down the center of it and it says nissan. It is held to the valve cover with 4 small allen head bolts 2 near the belt area to either side of the cover and 2 down the center.

Now the VE's front valve cover is silver as well and has 3 coils visable with out taking anything off each one is held in by a 10mm socket head bolt with a phillips screw center.

the intake plentium on the VE in the center of the engine has a red ban across it with the word nissan on it.

so dont get the intake plentium confised for the valve cover. after confirming this are you sure you have a VQ in there?

I belive on both engines the block designation is stamped on it at the rear (drivers side) of the front head on the block, along the same surface the head sits on.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Red:1994 Max: VG30de VQ didnt come until 1995 model year.

( but production date 94 will be model year 95:D, in 95 Max as the MY production started early for the 95's).

Fred..:)

NISTECH

fred 1992 to 1994 MY max had 2 engines available VG30E and VE30DE. the VQ30DE started in 1995 MY

But you do bring a valid point to the table here redruin where are you getting the year of your vehicle from? the door label?

NISTECH

the 90 to 96 300zx had the VG30DE

Redruin

Okay, from this description it sounds like a VE because the word Nissan is cast into the valve cover at the timing chain end. It is not in a ban that can be removed and I do see the three coil packs without taking anything off. I will try to look at the block to see the engine model number.

As far as the year of the car goes I am getting that off of the registration. I have a Hayes service manual that shows the VIN codes. I am pretty sure that it showed the car as a 94, but I will check that again.

NISTECH

the actual valve cover for the ve does not say nissan on it but the plentium does. the plentuim is connected to the intake tube from the air box.

AnglerfisH

the 1989-1991 Maxima SE had the VG30E just like the GXE. From 92-94, the SE ONLY had the VE30DE. aight....if your engine looks like this (my engine) it's a VG30E.

If it looks like this it's a VE30DE.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”