1994 Altima GXE (M/T) Starting & Running Issues

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
petey
Car: 1994 Altima GXE (M/T)

Hi Everyone,

I swear I've used the search function to the best of my ability but I can't find an answer to my question. I've put about 90,000 miles on my Altima without much of a problem, I replaced 2 fuel injectors. But recently my car died as I was leaving work. I had 1/8th tank. I put fuel and HEET in it in case there were water issues. Drove it home (10 minutes), 2 "hickups" on the way, let it idle for a while, it died. I had a hard time starting it up again. Got it started, idle it for a couple more minutes, it died, won't start up except for very brief moments.

So, I checked the plugs, they were wet with gas, they had the right gap, slightly fouled. Got out my compression tester, read 120 psi. So, we have fuel and compression. I've heard it might be:

1) Crank Position Sensor - I bought one and intended to replace it, but I can't find it on my engine. It's supposed to be on the fly wheel. I looked 360 degrees around the bell housing, nothing. Do all KA24s have them? Mine has a distributor, so a crank position sensor seems superfluous.

2) Distributor cap and rotor - Took it apart, the cap looked good but the rotor electrode was rusty. I replaced the rotor.

3) Ignition module - I'm not sure what that is or why one is necessary with a distributor.

4) Distributor Pickup - Again, I'm not sure what that is.

Any help will be rewarded with "mad props".
Thanks,
Peter

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”