1994 300ZX Convertible

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Boliramirez
Car: 94 300zx Convertible

Need help,

I just bought a 94 300zx Convertible at the moment of the sale they said it was difficult to lower the top,
It has two buttons at the back of the driver seat and they do not work. But I am not sure what they do......
I can manually open the trunk where the top goes, but I can not release the top from the where it seats at the back end,

Do someone know if it can be released manually ?

I really appreciate any input....

BR

Mike0276
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX convertible with 71K miles.

Good morning. I have a ‘93 300zx convertible. Taking the top down can be a challenge at times. Here are the steps listed in the owner’s manual.
1. Lower both windows
2. Release 2 front hold downs and lift front of top to loosen. levers for the hold down clamps are located behind flaps above both windows. Pull back of levers to release top latches. IMPORTANT make sure to close levers before lowering the top to prevent damage to top
3. Press bottom button (behind driver’s seat) to unlatch the back of top from body and lift upward.
4. Press top button to release top cover panel, lift back of panel to clear trunk lid, push panel backwards until it stops then lift front of panel to uncover top storage area.
5. Lift front of top and fold it into the storage area until it latches in place. Make sure the top is clean before doing this. Any dirt/grime on the plastic back window will cause scratches. (I’ve read that some owners will insert a soft cloth between the window folds)
6. Lower front of cover panel so that roller guide on each side fits into the roller channels. Push back of cover forward and press down on back of panel to seat it to the body.
7. To raise the top, raise the cover panel
8. Pull top release knob located on driver’s side in front of the folded top.
9. Raise top, lift back section and close cover panel.
10. Lower back section and press down on back frame to lock into place.
11. Push front of top into place and set hold down clamps. IMPORTANT make sure clamps are securely engaged to prevent top being blown off. There are no more top frames available unless you luck up and find one in a salvage yard.

Most of the time this works but the attachment latches for the back of the top and the cover panel can fail if dirty. I clean mine and spray with a lube and wipe excess off to prevent dripping.

I hope this helps

Mike0276
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX convertible with 71K miles.

Have you looked at the service manuals available on this web site? The one for the 93 300zx has a lot of info on convertible top under interior/body section. Good diagrams of the top release and top cover panel release mechanisms.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Nice work, Mike! Thanks for pitching in!!!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”