1994 240sx

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
topdowninaz
Car: 1994 Nissan 240sx SE

I just purchased my first 240sx ( 94 ) and love it, although after reading on these boards for awhile already have a list of must do's a mile long. Cant wait to have a 5 speed, for sure.

I dont know what all the letters and numbers I keep seeing on these boards mean though. Like S13, KA, etc. any help? What do I have?

Thanks !

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

When you see someone mention codes like S13, that's a chassis designation. the 89-94 models are designated S13. The 95-98 models are designated S15. In japan, there was a model that ran from 99-02 called the S15. We never got that one.

Also, the engine codes are simple to understand, and you'll see those thrown around a lot around here.

Nissan breaks their codes up into easy to understand section. It's Engine Family - Displacement in Litres - type of head and induction.

For example, there are a bunch of nissan engine families. The KA is the inline 4 cylinder, cast iron block used in an assortment of motors Nissan was using back in the late 80s. The RB is an inline 6 used in the japanese Cefiro and Skylines. The VG was used in the 300ZX, etc etc

The most common engine families you'll hear tossed around are the KA, SR, CA, RB, VG, and VQ. The older, Datsun motors were all derivatives of the same family and were designated L series.

Next is the displacement. Easy to understand. the 24 in KA24 is a 2.4 litre motor. SR20 is a 2.0 litre, VQ35 is a 3.5 litre.

The last set of codes in the engine code tells us what kind of head and fuel management the motor has. If a 'D' is used, it's DOHC. A lack of the 'D' is a SOHC. 'E' stands for fuel injected models. and you'll see a 'T' on some codes meaning the car is turbo charged.

So in summary, you know understand a KA24DE is a DOHC 2.4 litre inline 4 cylinder. and that a VG30E is a SOHC 3.0 litre V-6.

As far as your car goes, you have a KA24DE.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”