1994 240sx ka24de problem

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Jaycastro96
Car: 1994 Nissan 240sx

2 days ago I was checking the spark plugs, I put them back on and the first cylinder spark plug was tightened too much so it bent the gap close I knew because the car was misfiring, so I took it back out and opened the gap on the spark plug then it fired up back normally after , to check the spark I pulled off the spark plug wire while it was running and it was sparking till it was away and out of the hole, as soon as I pushed it back in the car turned off, if anyone knows what possibly could of happened here please let me know , and thank you.

wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

The torque on the spark plug threads has no affect on it's gap. Either the gap was already closed when you put the plug in, or you have rod stretch and the piston is contacting the plug. I doubt the later scenario as it started after readjusting the plug gap.

You could have cracked the ceramic insulator on the plug and it's sparking straight to the tube and not in the cylinder.
You could have irreparably damaged that spark plug. Replace it and recheck. They're cheap enough.
The connection at the spark plug in the wire could be damaged. Again, this could cause an arc that wastes/lowers the spark's energy inside the cylinder.

Those are just a couple examples of possible issues. Just do a tune-up with new plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. It's cheap and the best way to eliminate them as culprits.

Jaycastro96
Car: 1994 Nissan 240sx

wa-chiss wrote:The torque on the spark plug threads has no affect on it's gap. Either the gap was already closed when you put the plug in, or you have rod stretch and the piston is contacting the plug. I doubt the later scenario as it started after readjusting the plug gap.

You could have cracked the ceramic insulator on the plug and it's sparking straight to the tube and not in the cylinder.
You could have irreparably damaged that spark plug. Replace it and recheck. They're cheap enough.
The connection at the spark plug in the wire could be damaged. Again, this could cause an arc that wastes/lowers the spark's energy inside the cylinder.

Those are just a couple examples of possible issues. Just do a tune-up with new plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. It's cheap and the best way to eliminate them as culprits.
Thank you for the reply, I will change these and see how it goes! One more thing I noticed was the rpms were slightly rising and dropping, could this have damaged the ignition coil or ICM?

wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Not likely

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”