1993 Pathfinder timing belt problem

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
skeeterflipper
Car: 1993 Pathfinder

I have a 1993 pathfinder with a 3.0 and I’m in the process of replacing the water pump and timing belt. I set the timing marks to the notch’s on the cover before I removed the timing belt and water pump. I went back to finish the job and notch’s are not lined up now. I don’t want to mess up the valves on it. Can someone help me get it back in time?
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

My old '91 Pathfinder did this to me as well when I was rebuilding the front end on the motor. You can safely turn the cam shafts by the sprocket bolts so the marks on the sprockets line up with the marks on the rear timing belt cover. The mark on the crankshaft sprocket must be lined up with the mark on the oil pump housing as well. When all three sprockets are lined up with their respective marks, your number one piston will be at TDC on the compression stroke and you can then install the timing belt. After the belt is installed, slowly rotate the crankshaft by hand at least two full revolutions while carefully feeling for any resistance. Stop immediately if any resistance is felt, which will likely be due to the valves contacting the pistons. If this happens, start over. Double check your work to be sure the timing marks all line back up after rotating the crankshaft by hand, with the belt installed.

skeeterflipper

Thanks for the info. I’ll give it a try.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

One more thing. I would remove the spark plugs so that the crankshaft is easy to rotate by hand and no compression forces are mistaken for interference.

skeeterflipper

Will do

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”