1993 Nissan 300ZX convertible rear shock replacement

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Mike0276
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX convertible with 71K miles.

Good afternoon. I’m a new member to this forum. Several years ago, I purchased a 1993 Nissan 300ZX convertible. It is a 5 sp and currently has 71K actual miles. I have replaced the top, upholstery, carpet, timing belt/water pump, tires, rotors, and various other parts. (Thanks to YouTube)

I recently noticed the rear shocks are leaking and need to be replaced. I live in rural VA and none of the local repair shops have much experience working on 300ZX much less a convertible. So it looks like I will have to do the shock replacement. Is there any info available on how to do the replacement? I have not been able to find anything doing this on a convertible.

I’m sure someone on this site has done this and I would appreciate any advice, directions, pictures, etc. that would be of help.
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Use the FSM in my signature, it literally has EVERYTHING on the car.

Mike0276

Thanks for the reply about the service manual. Lots of info. Looks like I need to remove the panels around the top storage compartment to get to the top nuts on the shocks. Is there a sequence to the removal? Which piece do I remove first?

Mike0276

Finished the rear shock replacement yesterday. It was not as difficult as I anticipated. Did take some time and might have been easier if using a floor lift.
Only had to remove 2 side panes and the bottom tray from the top storage bay. The side panels pry up easily and must be removed first to gain access to 4 nuts holding the bottom tray down. Removing the bottom tray exposes 2 plastic push connectors at the bottom of the back panel. Remove these and both 2” plastic disc on the back panel. This allows the bottom of the back panel to be raised up to expose the tops of the rear shocks. The rest is a normal shock replacement.
An added benefit to this process was the exposure of the head light adjustment adapter Located under the side panel that was removed on the driver’s side.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”