1993 NA Injector Issues Episode V - The Injectors Strike Back

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
leerandallstewart
Car: 1993 300ZX, 1987 300ZX, 1988 300ZX Turbo

OK - so this car does not realize how close it is to going to the scrap heap. Push me just once more, and I am done.

Yesterday, I had 2 Cylinders that would not fire (#3, and #5).

Checked the Ohms on each injector - 12.7 across the board.Checked the Ohms on each Coil Pack - .9 across the board.Cleaned up connectors on every suspect injector.

Now I have a different cylinder not firing (#2), and I suspect #5 also.

I found a really cool part on eBay - Injector Harness Clips - A Set of 3 for $20 so I am considering replacing them all. You have to splice them in to your old harness which is ok, but I am leery of this harness to begin with.

I am contemplating:New EFI HarnessNew InjectorsPulling the plenum to do the whole job right

I have seen writeups on pulling a plenum - can anyone tell me how hard they think it is?

Modified by leerandallstewart at 12:15 PM 1/16/2010

s3xrapt0r

to
leerandallstewart wrote:OK - so this car does not realize how close it is to going to the scrap heap. Push me just once more, and I am done.

Yesterday, I had 2 Cylinders that would not fire (#3, and #5).

Checked the Ohma on each injector - 12.7 across the board.Checked the Ohms on each Coil Pack - .9 across the board.Cleaned up connectors on every suspect injector.

Now I have a different cylinder not firing (#2), and I suspect #5 also.

I found a really cool part on eBay - Injector Harness Clips - A Set of 3 for $20 so I am considering replacing them all. You have to splice them in to your old harness which is ok, but I am leery of this harness to begin with.

I am contemplating:New EFI HarnessNew InjectorsPulling the plenum to do the whole job right

I have seen writeups on pulling a plenum - can anyone tell me how hard they think it is?
be honest i dont think pulling the plenum is really all that hard just remember to have a baggy or magnetic tray to put the bolts on and use masking tape and a sharpie to mark wich hoses/wires go where. also make sure you work on a nice day and give your self some time to finish instead of starting a 4 and having to be somewhere by 6.

leerandallstewart
Car: 1993 300ZX, 1987 300ZX, 1988 300ZX Turbo

Update:

Turns out that the injector issues were due to corrosion on the connectors - they were literally coming apart on the wiring harness side, so maintaining a good connection was near impossible.

Stopped by Tustin Nissan yesterday and Frank (best Nissan parts guy around) showed me the new harness connectors that can be spliced in. Very cool. $25 each (you need 2 to do both sides), and it looks like a minimum amount of work. For $50, it can't be beat.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”