1993 Infiniti J30

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Jmills134
Car: 1993 infiniti j30

The car won't start it was coming on for about 2 minutes and turning off. I had this issue before in the past and It go the fuel pump change. So I took the fuel pump out to test it. I hook it up to the battery and it made a noise one time and thats it. I try several times and it didn't respond. Should I just change the fuel pump again?

goody90q45
Car: 1992 Q45 (sold)

Jmills134 wrote:The car won't start it was coming on for about 2 minutes and turning off. I had this issue before in the past and I got the fuel pump changed.......
If you let the original fuel pump get to the point where it failed then the Fuel Pump Control Unit (FPCU) probably got burned up in the process. On the Q45 the FPCU ground circuit starts to melt when the fuel pump gets worn and draws excessive current. Put in a new fuel pump and it will burn out like the previous two unless the FPCU is repaired or replaced at the same time.

For some reason the FPCU is not shown in the Location of Electrical Units, section EL of your FSM. It is shown on page EF&EC-15 (emissions) as being on the right side of the trunk . You should already know where it is since the fuel pump connector plugs into it.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/J30/

The fuel pump should have run when you bench tested it with a battery. I'm afraid you're looking at replacing the fuel pump and the FPCU this time around. If you're interested in repairing (resoldering) your FPCU do a search in the Q45 forum since it's been done successfully there. Good luck.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

The location is shown on EF&EC 223 although it's not a great picture.

Heath

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”