1992 Z32 n/a Starting Issue...Cold Weather

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
raw76
Car: 1992 Nissan 300zx

Interesting problem here...I'm hoping someone can give some advice...

My 92 300zx has trouble starting up in colder weather. When the key is turned, I hear a spinning, whining sound when it's 40 degrees or below outside. It will continue to just spin, and won't start no matter how many times I try it. When it's warm outside, it fires right up and runs fine. The starter is a new Denso, and it tests fine, along with the solenoid. The starter relay, flywheel, and battery cable harness have all been inspected/tested and are all good. The battery is new. Where should I look next? Thanks!!

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Is the engine turning over when you try to start it or is the starter not engaging?

raw76
Car: 1992 Nissan 300zx

The starter spinning is the only sound that can be heard when it's cold outside. The starter is a Denso, and has been tested as good. It's a year old, and replaced the original starter that was in the car (86,000 miles). The solenoid has been tested as good also. Just for safe measure, I replaced the one-year-old Denso with an AutoZone starter just to see the results, and had the same problem. I also tried a new solenoid on the same Denso starter, and had the same problem. Ahhh!

bgibb
Car: 1990 NA Z32 with a 95 engine and a 93 trans

Not to be that guy, but is all the wiring good? Obviously the trigger wire is hitting if you're getting spin out of it, but do you have good battery voltage to the solenoid AND the starter motor? Sounds like the starter is spinning, but the solenoid just isnt shoving the gear forward.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

If its spinning and the engine isn't turning over the starter isn't engaging the flywheel. The question is why? IIRC the starter power comes via a single wire that is then distributed to the solenoid and motor. If the whole assembly has tested good that means that the solenoid wire isn't providing the required voltage. I'm not going to tech support via forum further because that requires testing of various components. If the problem is cold temperature related it is more than likely a mechanical device freezing/locking up, relays have mechanical components. Check the wiring diagram in the FSM and follow the solenoid signal wire to wherever it comes from.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”