1992 D21 SE V6 4x4 Fuel Sending Unit

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Phteven007
Car: 1992 Nissan King Cab SE 4x4

I need help finding an aftermarket equivalent for the Fuel Sending Unit (OEM# 17050 31G04). Best I can tell, they don’t manufacture an exact replacement for this part, and the online parts stores sure won’t verify it will fit my truck even if I search using my VIN# where allowed to. This truck came from the factory with a deeper (21 gallon) fuel tank. I suppose this was because it had extra weight of 4WD components and lower off-road gear ratio? I keep running into dead ends trying to locate this part. I hope someone out there has solved this problem and can share some info. Any suggestions or workarounds would be greatly appreciated!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you can't find the right sender, either one of these will adapt any sender you can find to fit in the hole:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143709817048
https://www.ebay.com/itm/194363444642

Phteven007

Thank you! I’ll do some digging with the links you’ve provided and see where it leads.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

As long as you’re removing the tank, you may want to consider replacing the complete assembly meaning the Fuel pump also. Have you removed the tank yet? If you haven’t, check for power at the gauge and at the tank. Right before the tank is a plug possibly the wires are corroded. Another standard feature is the bolts snap off that hold the sending unit in place. Also check the outside of the tank for rust and pin holes. Some of the tanks have a plastic baffle inside may tank maybe in pieces. When you order the sending unit make sure it comes with the gasket. Go online - Carid auto Parts... you should be able to order the sending unit—— The sending unit/fuel pump sending assembly complete—- or a complete fuel tank/ sending unit/ fuel tank assembly. Something else you need to indicate if your vehicle has a low fuel light located on the fuel gauge makes a difference.

whomadewho

Another source to try ..... Rock Auto parts

whomadewho

There’s also a repair kit available. Check with Rock auto

Phteven007

Yes, my gear head nephew Jay and I removed the truck bed and pulled the sender/pump assembly out and it was gunked up from 5 years being parked. Jay said we need a whole new replacement sender/pump assembly and we need to rust soak the tank and pour in a new liner. Then, and only then, can we fuel it up to see if it starts and runs. My mission is to find a new sender/pump assembly while he refurbs the tank. My part of this mission hasn’t gone so well. I’ve surfed the parts sites (RockAuto, PartsGeek, CarPartsdotcom, NissanPartsDeals, Herko, and a few others) and most of them list complete assemblies but many of those part numbers were replaced by my part # 17050 31G04, which is no longer manufactured. And I’ve checked these ‘replaced’ part numbers for exact fit on my truck and they either say it doesn’t fit my vehicle, or they cannot guarantee exact fitment, or it’s out of stock. These sender/pump units are not cheap, so gamb|ing on a part that MIGHT fit is out of the question. I told my nephew to hang onto the old assembly…we might have to refurb it somehow. Thank you so very much on suggesting Carid Auto Parts. Hopefully they’ll have it. Again, thanks!

whomadewho

If everything fails I have several float assemblies. The part with the 2 screws that bolt next to the fuel pump.

i8acobra
Car: 1987 Nissan Hardbody SE V6

whomadewho wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:41 am
If everything fails I have several float assemblies. The part with the 2 screws that bolt next to the fuel pump.
Yeah, I know this post is two years old, but do you still have floats? I need the 2 floats for the SE sending unit.

whomadewho

Might have a float. They are out of 1997 4 cylinder. Not sure if they will interchange?

whomadewho

You looking for the sending unit or the float Ann arm assembly?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

i8acobra wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:25 am
Yeah, I know this post is two years old, but do you still have floats? I need the 2 floats for the SE sending unit.
If worst comes to worst you can adapt a pair of any senders that fit in the hole using one of the devices I mentioned above. Dual senders aren't complicated, you just put the two in series.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”