1992 240SX - Parking Light Wire for Alarm Connection - Which wire?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
iamisha
Car: 1992 240sx

• The Viper 3606V installation guide shows
    • (1) one wire (white/brown) for the “parking light isolation wire – Pin 87a of onboard relay) and
    • (2) one wire (white) for the “parking light output.”
  • A wiring wiring sheet I found has only one wire for “parking lights.”
    • It is listed as red/blue and located at the back of the dash dimmer.
    • There are two such wires (see photo). One runs to the dash dimmer switch and the other runs upward (maybe to the dashboard?).
    parking_lights_wires.PNG
  • What do these alarm wires do?
  • Which Viper wire connects to which existing Nissan wire?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'd imagine it uses the parks to flash when locks and unlocks. It should be the Red/Blue right beside a Green/Red, pin 11 of the switch connector. See EL-47 here (pdf page 933):
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... _240sx.pdf

iamisha
Car: 1992 240sx

Thank you!

After testing the two red/blue wires I found behind the dash with a multi-tester and verifying that they output 12v when the parking lights were turned on, yet not having the parking lights flash when I connected the white or white/brown wires from the Viper's main harness, I read the Viper installation manual and noticed that I didn't install the fuse! :facepalm:

It now seems to work correctly. This is my set-up after reading more carefully.
1. The fuse is positioned in the (+) position in the light flash polarity jumper.
2. Only the white "parking light output" wire from the Viper's main harness is connected.

I'm not using the white/brown "parking light isolation wire - pin 87a of onboard relay." The Viper 3606V manual says this "is used for vehicles requiring light switch isolation during parking lights flash output."

Is my set-up appropriate (i.e., fuse in [+] position, only white "parking light output" wire connected)?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That should be good, I don't see any reason to isolate the parks electrically. Your SXy is an old ride with switches and relays, it isn't like there any microcontrollers involved that need to be protected. Just the Timer Module, and that isn't really a micro, just a collection of CMOS timer circuits. Unless you discover any functional issues, it should be fine the way you wired it.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”