1991 Nissan President - a study of the Japanese spirit

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
MarioKart
Car: 1991 Nissan President
2004 Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo-R

Hey everyone!

First time posting here, and I feel it's my duty to first give thanks and praise to everyone that is part of this beautiful forum, because without you all I wouldn't have been able to do half the work I needed to do on this beauty.

In this thread I want to address all the work that I've done on the President, all the work that still needs to be done, and current issues I'm facing.

Bit of a background: I purchased it at 72k kilometres last June, now it's at 82k so I do quite a bit of driving in it. I've had it as a daily every time it hasn't been in my garage on axle stands. When that was the case, I would drive my trusty 2004 Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo-R (4G63T engine and auto transmission off of a Lancer Evolution VII GT-A)!

I bought it as a birthday present for my 29th birthday, as I wanted to tick another item off my to-do list before I'm 30 - own a President :)

Initially when I purchased it, I knew I was buying a 32 year old vehicle (now 33) with a leaky active suspension in both rear shocks. Knowing there isn't anyone around me with expertise in rebuilding those, I unfortunately had to go the route of coilovers. Don't get me wrong, I have the coilovers dialled in perfectly now and it's such a smooth, cosy ride, but when I first bought the car the suspension worked on and off (it would drive fine until the rear end would drop to the ground out of nowhere, until it regained height again.... and then repeat.) and I got to get a glimpse of a working active suspension back then. It was tremendous!
I knew I could get the job done with the conversion, only issue was the power steering pump and how to correctly loop it back without starving it for hydraulic fluid.

So here goes a quick write-up for anyone who in this day and age drives an active Q45 or an active President:
I figured you can just loop the output of the active side of the pump directly to the bottom of the active radiator, I had a spare banjo fitting that had a hose end, similar to the below image:
Banjo.png
I used a 2-core hydraulic hose from that banjo fitting at the output side of the pump directly to the small radiator in front of the front left wheel. Worked a treat! Now the fluid recirculated from the reservoir tank, down to the active side of the pump, out of the pump directly into the radiator, and the radiator going back into reservoir. A perfect loop! Or so I thought.... now don't get me wrong, that idea was tremendous, and I see it working for a lot of other people on these forums. Unfortunately, for the strangest reason, no matter what I did I would get cavitation in the fluid after a short drive. (nasty noise in the pump...)
The way I figured that out was with the pump running and making that awful noise, I would undo the banjo fitting at the output and start draining fluid, until frothy fluid started coming out and eventually it would run out of fluid (empty pump) and no noise AT ALL. Then I'd start filling up the reservoir, with pump still running empty, with fresh fluid and it would remain silent while spinning nicely. The problem would come back soon after, a day or maximum 2 after the remedy.
That got me thinking, maybe the pump needs a tiny bit of pressure on the output so that it has fluid to compress instead of cavitating/frothing it. I went ahead and built a diy pressure builder (for lack of a better description), and depending on the opening of it I could increase or decrease pressure at the output of the pump. Once I mistakenly increased pressure enough that the pump cracked open the thick-walled brass fitting that I was using to create pressure! What a hell of a pump :D so I went through a few of those fittings, had about 5 of them and each one would be permanently set up for a bit more or a bit less pressure. I stopped at one of them that seemed to build just enough pressure that after 2 months of driving, revving high etc, it would not cavitate no matter what.
Then one day, same exact issue. Cavitation, awful noise at the pump, dropping the fluid and refilling it again would stop the noise, etc. etc.
That was when I had enough of it and finally got enough courage to take the pump off the engine and start familiarising myself with dual-chamber pumps like the active ones in our vehicles.
Back side of the pump (the one with the lid that has 4 screws on it) is the simple vein design, unfortunately for me that chamber deals with the power steering, so cannot be disabling that...
Then I went to the front side of the pump, took the pulley off, took off the 7 torx bolts holding that hold the 2 chambers mated to one another and I cracked open the front side of the pump. YAY! Or.... nay.... turns out it's an entirely different design, one I had never seen before in any power steering pump videos I watched. No veins, a completely enclosed design that seemed impossible to work with. Until I figured out that taking off all 7 side (side meaning around the outside perimeter of the pump) 24mm caps (caps is what I call them..), they each contain a piston, spring to press that piston down, and a tiny rod inside piston to keep it all centre I suppose...
Turns out this type of pump is called radial piston pump, but I'm yet to see images on google of one that works EXACTLY the same way as mine. Regardless, the solution is still the same:
Take out all 7 pistons, springs, and rods, and screw on the 7x 24mm caps back on. Now the axle of the pump spins freely, no compression created, no rubbing of concentric shaft against 7 pistons to make them rise and fall, so as long as there is some fluid in there to keep it lubricated it should be fine.
I've had slight inspiration from the Skyline R32 GTR guys with their hicas steering systems, as they also have dual-chamber pumps, but theirs are a bit simpler where both chambers simply have the vein design pumps, removing the veins disabling it. No pistons :D But mainly I feel safe knowing that when they disabled their pumps all they do is remove the veins and leave some fluid inside.
What I've done as well is once the power steering pump is mounted back onto the engine, the very bottom of the pump has another one of those 24mm "caps" visible when you look at it from below, the one with a small 10mm bolt screwed into it to hold the bracked for the input line of the active side. I wanted to have the reservoir full of fluid, and let gravity feed it into the pump, so that there's always some kind of fluid in there, but unfortunately the pump is now airlocked, and I figured that once the bracket flap is cut off and away from the bottom 24mm cap, the cap can be removed, and that allowed fresh fluid from the reservoir to be gravity fed into the pump and as soon as fluid started spilling everywhere from that bottom cap, I screwed it back in. So now I think of it as an oil sump plug. I'll be making sure to drain a bit of fluid from there every time I do an oil change on the engine, just for peace of mind in order to keep fresh fluid in the pump.
I forgot to mention the output of the active side is now blocked off. Just a reservoir full of fluid, gravity fed into a pump with no output, free-spinning and just getting lubricated.

All 3 serpentine belts were changed to Gates ones, simple enough job...
Fan was changed out for a brand new one from Amayama, weirdly enough the one from Amayama is a smaller diameter, the blades are wider but closer to the engine, and they rub against one of the plastic covers in front of leftside cylinder bank. Had to very carefully dremel off an edge profile into each blade to make not hit that plastic cover, so now it's all good, but extremely annoying knowing I bought the exact oem number from Japan for it to turn out slightly wrong.

Fuel filter changed out, the usual things like stabiliser bar links, new air filter (old one looked like it hadn't been changed since 1991, it crumbled once I started pressing on it with my fingers... and was BLACK!)

Obviously did an oil change as well, and the oil looked terrible so safe to say if the air filter hadn't been changed in that long, the oil could easily not have been touched in years, potentially decades.

All very satisfying work, until I started getting a misfire, quite a terrible one at that. At idle it would bounce a bit, and some days when I tried driving it would bounce QUITE a bit upon acceleration, scary stuff! At the exhaust you can hear a sputter as well...
It had gotten fairly bad, and I decided to change out spark plugs for NGK PFR6B-11. The previous plugs that were in there were the hotter ones, PFR5B-11, and on some of them the electrodes were close to completely gone! Absolutely devoured! So I was glad to do that change, the car felt better for sure... but then after a while the misfire was back, so I started thinking injectors or bad fuel.
Little info on Ireland: we only have 95 octane, and anywhere you ask on any forums everyone would tell you there are no higher options anymore, it's all E10 95 octane (95 octane in EU is equivalent to 91 in the US from what I read), but alas I found one petrol station close to my house that has the option of 97... so I ran until my 95 octane tank was empty and filled it up to the very top with 97 octane, and dropped 2x 120ml bottles of Liqui Moly DFI cleaner (as it has polyetheramine in it)
Honestly, the problem went completely away after a couple of days of driving like that. I would do another tank after that with another dose of injector cleaner for good measure, and everything was perfect. That was probably a month ago, and I've done about 1000 kilometres since, and now when I park up somewhere I'm starting to feel the slight bounce at idle inside the car, I go to the back of the car and the exhaust is sputtering occasionally again, misfiring.
So this is where I'm at right now, it runs and I daily it, but occasionally it misfires again. One thing I've always noticed was an intense enough smell of petrol inside the cabin when I start it in the morning, cold.
When it's been ran already for the day and I start it I don't smell that anymore. I saw a thread here explaining that leaks are common somewhere in the back of the plenum, out of a hose that when hot it expands and the leak could potentially stop.
So one morning before I started the car stuck my phone centre of plenum at the very back of it between plenum and firewall, and got a video. I can clearly see a leak around a small rubber hose, I have not tightened the clamp there so that's definitely my next move. Once I drove the car for more than an hour, I parked it, took a video of the exact same place and everything was bone dry! So more and more I'm certain it's a leak there.

Now my mind is wondering could this be in any way related to my misfire...
I also haven't done ohm reading on the injectors yet, that's something I'll try get done soon. Plenum job has never been done either, and that's one I'm dreading as well but I'll get to it soon I promise!
And most importantly, I have not yet done the chain guides replacement! I know I know, I will gather up courage to get that done as well soon!

I'll keep this updated as I work through future issues, or remember some of the work I've done to it.

Thanks everyone for providing such a fantastic place to share ideas! Keep those beauties running!

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO!

Awesome first post (that I'll finish reading later this evening.) :D

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Your description of the active suspension pump modification is pretty interesting. I have never heard of doing that before. I hope that holds up well for you. You hinted at the next step for your engine misfire - ohm testing the injectors. I'll be interested to hear the results on that. If they ohm test OK, I'd recommend a pressurized injector and rail flush - but it's likely you have a failing injector. With the introduction of up to 10% ethanol in fuels about 15 or 20 years ago here - they started failing in massive numbers.

MarioKart

Thank you for the warm welcome Q451990, you alone have helped me with your insight and no doubt helped countless other anonymous souls who have browsed these forums for solutions to their Q45/President problems, without even realising it.

As I've mentioned in my initial post, here's another thing I've figured out about Q45s and Presidents that I have yet to find an answer to in this forum:
Front strut bar - there have been mentions here of a maxima strut bar being modified slightly and able to fit, but maybe since I'm in Europe I can't find any of them online, at least not the right ones.
What I've done is once again I've been inspired by the Skyline R32 guys, and turns out their R32 GTR OEM front strut bars would be a close enough fit, here's my one:
R32 strut bar2.png
R32 strut bar1.png
R32 strut bar1.png (251.1 KiB) Viewed 522 times
One thing that I now need to acquire is a longer threaded bar, the bar that is used to adjust width of the strut. The current one is a total of 11cm in length (M18 diameter) but I figure it needs to be about 23cm total. So far I can't find one that is M18, over 20cm length, and has one side left hand threads while the other side is right hand threads... quite specific... So I'll be buying a plain round steel bar, 18mm diameter, and I'll buy myself some left and right hand dies to thread it myself. A small little project but I'll update on it whenever I've that done with some more photos.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

Great writeup on your active pump lubrication solution. You've done well to make sure that your pump keeps a full supply of fluid. the "air bubble" in the pump is quite common. I make a habit of vacuuming down the system (cooling system type vac at the active reservoir cap) after breaking any line connections. It only takes a second, but burping it makes all the difference. It's also possible of course to also convert to a standard pump, but with considerably more parts finding and work (crankshaft damper and water pump pulleys different, among other things).
Your removed parts may be of benefit to someone if kept dirt free on the hydraulics. I suppose shipping from IRE could be expensive, though. If you keep everything and ever consider restoring the system, I'd check a hydraulic shop that works on lorries, forklifts, etc. Very likely the strut actuators can be resealed. And of course the gas accumulators can be recharged (I use Argon).

The early VH45DE had a different water pump (snout depth). Is it possible the nissan fan was from a kouki rather than the zenki?

MarioKart

Q451990 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:55 pm
You hinted at the next step for your engine misfire - ohm testing the injectors. I'll be interested to hear the results on that.
Ohm testing complete, and the results are in:
Injectors 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8 all test between 12.6 and 12.7Ohms
Injector 2 tests around 1000 Ohms while injector 6 tests around 2000 Ohms.
The strange thing is that the issue feels random, one day it'll run close to flawless, other days it'll be bounce at the beginning and maybe a minute or 2 later it'll drive smooth and idle smooth-ish (with a small misfire heard at exhaust tip). Sometimes it runs quite well and I'll park somewhere, turn the car off, instantly turn it back on again and it'll be misfiring like hell, bouncing all around the place... so it's strange to me how those injectors behave differently on any given day :D but regardless, they don't read right at all, so I'll be replacing them all preferably.

Luckily enough I've managed to find all 8 injectors with the harness from a 2001 President, but will they work on my 91 President, any idea? I vaguely remember hearing people talk about them having differences and some stuff needing to be upgraded, is it just the harness?

I'd appreciate any help on that before I pull the trigger on 8 used injectors.
3Q Jay wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:55 am
Great writeup on your active pump lubrication solution. You've done well to make sure that your pump keeps a full supply of fluid. the "air bubble" in the pump is quite common. I make a habit of vacuuming down the system (cooling system type vac at the active reservoir cap) after breaking any line connections. It only takes a second, but burping it makes all the difference. It's also possible of course to also convert to a standard pump, but with considerably more parts finding and work (crankshaft damper and water pump pulleys different, among other things).
Your removed parts may be of benefit to someone if kept dirt free on the hydraulics. I suppose shipping from IRE could be expensive, though. If you keep everything and ever consider restoring the system, I'd check a hydraulic shop that works on lorries, forklifts, etc. Very likely the strut actuators can be resealed. And of course the gas accumulators can be recharged (I use Argon).

The early VH45DE had a different water pump (snout depth). Is it possible the nissan fan was from a kouki rather than the zenki?
Ugh 3Q Jay you're making me think more and more about going back to active, putting in some time, money and effort into restoring it back :crazy:
I've kept everything dirt free so far but for now I'll park that idea and just carry on with engine work, misfire issue and chain guides needing to be sorted out first I feel...
Regarding the non-active pump, I was looking into that and I love the idea but then I realised the amount of other parts I need to buy and there's literally no Q45s or Presidents in Ireland that I can simply pull parts off of, I only know of one friend of mine who has a Q45 here but obviously not for parts... So that meant buying most if not all parts for that conversion from Amayama. For now I hope my method works, but so far so good!
Great insight into the fan issue, I never knew that about the different water pump snout depth! However I went back to the website to see the one I bought, and it's the cheaper of 2 options (the only 2 options for a 91 President), 21060-0P500 is mine, with the other option being a 21060-60U00, and that's from a parts diagram that lists "Produсtion years 1990 1991 1992" So it's a strange one, but maybe the 21060-60U00 is the right one for me, not 21060-0P500...

3Q Jay
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

MarioKart wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:33 pm
Q451990 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:55 pm
You hinted at the next step for your engine misfire - ohm testing the injectors. I'll be interested to hear the results on that.
Ohm testing complete, and the results are in:
Injectors 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8 all test between 12.6 and 12.7Ohms
Injector 2 tests around 1000 Ohms while injector 6 tests around 2000 Ohms.
The strange thing is that the issue feels random, one day it'll run close to flawless, other days it'll be bounce at the beginning and maybe a minute or 2 later it'll drive smooth and idle smooth-ish (with a small misfire heard at exhaust tip). Sometimes it runs quite well and I'll park somewhere, turn the car off, instantly turn it back on again and it'll be misfiring like hell, bouncing all around the place... so it's strange to me how those injectors behave differently on any given day :D but regardless, they don't read right at all, so I'll be replacing them all preferably.

Luckily enough I've managed to find all 8 injectors with the harness from a 2001 President, but will they work on my 91 President, any idea? I vaguely remember hearing people talk about them having differences and some stuff needing to be upgraded, is it just the harness?

I'd appreciate any help on that before I pull the trigger on 8 used injectors.
3Q Jay wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:55 am

Ugh 3Q Jay you're making me think more and more about going back to active, putting in some time, money and effort into restoring it back :crazy:
I've kept everything dirt free so far but for now I'll park that idea and just carry on with engine work, misfire issue and chain guides needing to be sorted out first I feel...
Regarding the non-active pump, I was looking into that and I love the idea but then I realised the amount of other parts I need to buy and there's literally no Q45s or Presidents in Ireland that I can simply pull parts off of, I only know of one friend of mine who has a Q45 here but obviously not for parts... So that meant buying most if not all parts for that conversion from Amayama. For now I hope my method works, but so far so good!
Great insight into the fan issue, I never knew that about the different water pump snout depth! However I went back to the website to see the one I bought, and it's the cheaper of 2 options (the only 2 options for a 91 President), 21060-0P500 is mine, with the other option being a 21060-60U00, and that's from a parts diagram that lists "Produсtion years 1990 1991 1992" So it's a strange one, but maybe the 21060-60U00 is the right one for me, not 21060-0P500...
I agree with you to sort out the misfire and the chain guides before you go back to active.
Sounds like you've hit on something with those two injectors. They could be intermittent if the coil windings on the solenoid of the injector are damaged. what does the visual tell you on the 2001 vs. 1991 injectors? they have to look the same, but even that is not sufficient to guarantee the same flow. for sure, the USDM G50 have different injectors between the kouki's and the zenki's.
-60u00 is THE standard G50 platform part number suffix. Now, that doesn't mean that every part on your car will end in 60u00---but it does mean that 60u00 WAS designed specifically for the early G50.

MarioKart

3Q Jay wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:27 pm
I agree with you to sort out the misfire and the chain guides before you go back to active.
Sounds like you've hit on something with those two injectors. They could be intermittent if the coil windings on the solenoid of the injector are damaged. what does the visual tell you on the 2001 vs. 1991 injectors? they have to look the same, but even that is not sufficient to guarantee the same flow. for sure, the USDM G50 have different injectors between the kouki's and the zenki's.
-60u00 is THE standard G50 platform part number suffix. Now, that doesn't mean that every part on your car will end in 60u00---but it does mean that 60u00 WAS designed specifically for the early G50.
I can see on Amayama that for 1998 onwards they are equipped with 16600-67U16, 16600-67U17 or 16600-67U18, so it's one of them that I will be buying but not sure exactly which of the 3, I'd assume they are practically the same as each other.
For the 1990 to 1992 models they show 16600-60U00, 16600-60U01, 16600-60U02, 16600-66U00, 16600-66U01, 16600-66U02, 16600-66U03, 16600-66U04 and 16600-66U05... go figure :D
So there possibly are some differences between the 2 types.
With the Q45 I know if we're talking about 91 vs '01 they are practically 2 different vehicles, but the President remained mostly the same from 91 to 01, with cosmetic changes and interior styling, but the VH45DE remained.
I might pull the trigger and chance the change over to the new injectors. I forgot to mention they come with the fuel rail as well, because I'm just after looking at another thread that recommended the injector harness and rails needing to be upgraded to the newer ones along with an injector upgrade so I suppose I'll have that covered as well...

Here's a photo of the 01 injectors and all that comes with them:
01 injectors.png

3Q Jay
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

a little hard to tell from the photo, but that looks a lot like the USDM G50 kouki setup.
The connectors will be the thumb squeeze snap on type---whereas in 91 (USDM, and I would assume JDM as well), they had the type with the wire lock ring
The injectors (service part) I used on my '94 when I changed them 17 years ago was: -67u10

3Q Jay
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

oh, and are the two vehicle side connectors (right side valve cover area) the same between '91 and '01? I'm not sure, although you could probably splice if you had to. my recollection is that the smaller connector on the vehicle end of that harness services the coolant temp sensor down in the valley.

MarioKart

I've just made the purchase and will provide a few high quality photos once the injectors arrive, just for people's reference. I'll also provide photos of my 91 connectors and the 2001 connectors as well, might be of use to someone in the future.
You're right though in terms of the connectors, mine are the wire lock ones, while photos of brand new ones with numbers -67U16, 67U17 and 67U18 are all thumb squeeze snap on from what I can see.
I don't see -67U10 being listed as an injector for Presidents so that's a bit strange, but oh well, once they arrive I'll get a better idea of any potential mismatch.
If there are any issues with connector differences that won't be an issue for me to rewire everything, I'm a wizard with a soldering gun. (One of my passions for the past 10 years is amplifier and power supply repairs, SMD soldering, you name it...)

This leads me to the obvious next step: valley of death plenum job.
I'll be purchasing knock sensors in the coming days.
I've OEM rocker cover gaskets that I'll be putting in as well as I've a small leak.
I assume plenum gaskets will need to be purchased as well.
Anything else I should look out for in the preparations for the surgery?

Ryantzer
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45

MarioKart wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:22 am
I've OEM rocker cover gaskets that I'll be putting in as well as I've a small leak.
The S1 engine (from '90-'93 in the US) didn't have rocker cover gaskets, they were sealed with RTV - I'm assuming yours is likely the same.

I would plan on doing all the intake plenum seals, and replace every hose under the plenum while it's apart, they're all bound to be rock hard and will cause PCV, air, vacuum, and coolant leaks.

If you don't know if the timing chain guides have been replaced, it would be wise to plan to replace them as well since the plenum and rocker covers have to come off as part of that job as well. The "while you're in there" list grows even more when you realize it probably makes sense to replace the water pump and thermostat at the same time. I feel your pain as I did all of this on my '90 just 2-3 years ago.

StitchedQ
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45

Ryantzer wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:48 am
MarioKart wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:22 am
The S1 engine (from '90-'93 in the US) didn't have rocker cover gaskets, they were sealed with RTV - I'm assuming yours is likely the same.

I would plan on doing all the intake plenum seals, and replace every hose under the plenum while it's apart, they're all bound to be rock hard and will cause PCV, air, vacuum, and coolant leaks.

If you don't know if the timing chain guides have been replaced, it would be wise to plan to replace them as well since the plenum and rocker covers have to come off as part of that job as well. The "while you're in there" list grows even more when you realize it probably makes sense to replace the water pump and thermostat at the same time. I feel your pain as I did all of this on my '90 just 2-3 years ago.
I second this. Having done injectors on mine last year, it kept turning into "while i'm here". The list of everything I replaced was:

Resealed valve covers and cam sensor cover/plate
Replaced PCV hoses
Replaced IACV hoses
Replaced thermostat
Replaced water temperature sensor
Replaced knock sensors
Replaced coolant cross-over hoses with silicone hoses
Replaced Injectors
Replaced fuel pressure regulator
Replaced radiator hoses
Replaced the cooling fan assembly

I still feel like i'm missing some small things here and there. But if you're going to replace the injector(s), i'd try to knock out that stuff while you're in there (at least the stuff that is applicable, my fan for example was dry rotted/cracked). There is a high probability the PCV/IACV hoses will break on you as they like to get stuck (though maybe the issue was solved on the President, as I believe the original issue was the rubber that was used on the early year G50's would dry out and harden really fast)

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”