1991 M30 Bose stereo screeching sound when on.

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
henrodstone
Car: 1991 Infiniti M30 Coupe. Super Black on brown and tan.

Hi guys,

I'm a brand new M30 owner, and when I turn on the stereo, there's a loud screeching sound coming from the passenger's door speaker. I'm hoping it's just something internal in the head unit, so I can just remove it from the dash and either repair it or have it replaced. If you've had this problem, what diagnosis did you perform to find the culprit? I don't want to put in an aftermarket head unit, I find them extremely ugly and I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix this.

Thanks.

P.S. If their is a post that is identical to mine and I didn't find it, then I apologize and if you could give me a link to a similar post, that would be great!

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

I would try to switch speaker wires...left and right and see if it's truly the radio or the speaker....

henrodstone

And I have to take apart the console to remove the head unit, right?

fourdrinie

if it's like the J30, yes, but consult your FSM to be sure

henrodstone

fourdrinie wrote:if it's like the J30, yes, but consult your FSM to be sure
The FSM is the book in the case that's Velcroed in the front of the trunk, correct?

henrodstone

By the way, if the HU is the culprit, do you know where I can get an identical OEM replacement? I don't want to modify the system and I assume it's just plug and play if I get an identical HU.

fourdrinie

you can search ebay....
find the fsm here:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/infini ... nuals.html

henrodstone

fourdrinie wrote:you can search ebay....
find the fsm here:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/infini ... nuals.html
Thanks! I already have a hard copy of this manual, it's been pretty helpful in other areas. But what I meant was if you or anyone else knew some vendors or forum members who either sell/repair items like this and that have a good reputation in the Infiniti community. For example, I found a website called Carstereoremoval.com and they charge $3.00 for a guide on how to remove the HU, and $250-300 to repair the HU itself, which is very steep for me, but they do add an AUX jack, so maybe I'll do that later. Are they a good company?

fourdrinie

There are writeups on this forum on how to remove the HU....
I know nothing about the company, but I have seen their website

henrodstone

fourdrinie wrote:There are writeups on this forum on how to remove the HU....
I know nothing about the company, but I have seen their website
Can you give me a link to one of the writeups?

fourdrinie

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how-to ... i-j30.html

I don't know how relevant the m30 is

kentr6727
Car: 91 M30

No Need to pull head unit - Head unit is not the source of the popping and screeching.

The individual AMPS at each speaker are the source.

This happened to my 91 M30 many years ago. The solution to keeping the original Bose amps is to remove all four of the amp/speaker units and take or send the amps to a repair shop that has the repair kits. If I recall correctly the amp IC and the polarized capacitors needed to be replaced. The caps were the type that deteriorate with age.

I had my amps repaired at an auto stereo shop in Daly City California - as I said it was a while back - about 20 yrs ago. Don't recall the shop name.

You can find places that can repair the amps on the internet - for instance search for "bose car audio repair".

An alternative is to get a radio and speaker setup from someplace like Crutchfield. Or if you know someone that does car audio install - it would take some drilling and rewiring to get it all setup. I mention Crutchfield because they include the wiring interface harness to connect the new radio to the M30 wiring. This allows the antenna to go up when the new radio is turned on and connects to the speaker wires. Last year I replaced my radio with a dual DIN unit because the original head unit went into a spasm - the cassette player went into nonstop running and cycling from forward to reverse.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”