1992 240sx intermittent no start

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Zoom45

I have a 1992 240sx convertible that has on occasion gave me a no start condition and made me tow it home twice. I thought it was a bad fuel pump. It would run great then once it quit while driving and another time it just would't start. The first time it quit I put a new fuel pump and it cranked right up and ran fine for 1000 miles then got in it one morning and it just wouldn't' start up. I found I could grab the wiring harness in front of the valve cover and it would crank up and run ok. When it's running I could grab the harness and wiggle wires and here the engine idle up. I narrowed it down to the temperature sensor with the red cap and wire retainer on the plug. The sensor with one wire next to it was loose and the terminal on the sensor was also moving around and not tight. I also noticed my gauge for the temperature would bounce or quit at times. My question is can a bad connection in the red plug cause the car to not start up? I guess this sensor must control something in the ecu that could affect it like not provide a ground for the fuel pump to work? I cleaned the connector which had some green corrosion on the terminals and it's running great now. Not being sure I hate to get on the road and get the same no start condition again.
Thanks
Zoom45

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”