1991 240sx gunked up gas tank

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
berniewatts
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX

I'm new to this forum and own a 1991 240sx. It has been stored since 1997 and never started. I got it out recently to get it running again. Stupid me did not drain the gasoline back then. So you can imagine what the gas tank looks like. I've got it mostly clean except for the gum out of the bottom. Most of the rust is out. I used vinegar, muriatic acid and electrolysis. Any ideas how to clean the gum out? I've got some acetone I'm thinking of using. Also I've cleaned the fuel sender unit and it looks ok. I tried to find a used one. I could not find a used one anywhere. Where does everyone get there parts for this car.

Thank you.
Bernie
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Welcome to NICO!
I still use rock-auto as my go to for parts, but some stuff was never really on there, so a junk yard, Ebay, the classifieds here, or Nissan dealer might be the best option.

I haven't had to deal with fuel gum in a long time, but I wonder if E85 would do anything to it. They also make gum-out fuel additive stuff, but I think its pretty pricey.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Last time we had a lot car with varnish coating the tank, we replaced the fuel pump and stirred in a full gallon of SeaFoam along with one gallon of fresh gas. Worked great, the emulsified varnish turned the mix brownish but the concentrated SF even scrubbed out the injectors without any disassembly. That was on (I think) an '08 Maxima which sat for about 4 years.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”