1990 v6 fuel pump

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
FYNNDER68
Car: 1990 Nissan D21 SE

Other than the fuse, does any other electrical component control the fuel pump. A new pump was installed five years ago and then the truck was parked until now. No fuel level indicated but at least 7 gallons of new fuel was added. any thing else to do but install another fuel pump? thanks.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Did you check the relay in the engine compartment? You should be able to hear the fuel pump run when key is turned to the on position. Check fuel lines for RUST check the fuel filter. You may have had renters (mice) over the years? Before removing the fuel tank you Might want try removing a fuel line and turn the key to the on position to check to see if the pump is working? Another possibility is the tank is rusted out allowing debris and water in the tank? Pretty common feature usually under the bracket towards the rear of the tank.

FYNNDER68

Thanks. I think a rusty tank is probably the problem. Pulling the tank soon. Thanks for the reply.

whomadewho

If you decide to pull the fuel tank spray the front and rear brackets a few days in advance with penetrating oil. Real common for the bolts to break. If the bolts break it’s difficult to locate different brackets. I broke 3 bolts. If that occurs place the brackets in a vise and heat them up with the GAS WRENCH (torch) and remove them with a vise grip. The fuel tank and the fuel pump assembly are pricey. To save some $$$ You can purchase the fuel pump motor and the sending unit separately depending on what you discover? The bolts that fasten the fuel pump assembly are a sure bet that they will snap? Almost certain the tank will need to be replaced.

whomadewho

Might also want to replace the hoses that go to the sending unit. Make sure to replace the hoses designed for use with ethanol. Also pretty common to find rusted fuel lines near the fuel tank. Rather trying to replace the steel lines use fuel hose. BEFORE INSTALLING THE FUEL TANK make sure you test the fuel pump and the fuel gauge when the tank is lying on the floor. Put a small amount of fuel in the tank to ensure you have a working pump and gauge? Gets frustrating removing the tank again. If all possible try not to remove the screws behind the filler door the screws tend to snap. Try removing the hoses at the tank.

whomadewho

One other thought. IF you have to replace the complete fuel pump assembly MAKE SURE you check the wiring harness or plug to ensure yo have the proper pump assembly. A lot has to do where the truck was manufactured. Some were made in the states and some over the pond? Best thing is to bring the vehicle serial number with you.

FYNNDER68

Thanks for all the info. Lifting the bed today. will post what I learn. Thanks again!

whomadewho

The aftermarket tanks ..... Liland Global - INS19A. Spectra Premium. NS19A. Dorman. 57628. Some of the aftermarket tanks don’t include the gasket or the mounting screws. Does the truck have a factory bed? Never have removed the bed to access the fuel tank unless some modifications were done?

whomadewho

If you replace the fuel lines the lines also have to withstand high pressure. Interested in knowing how it went raising the bed to remove the tank???

FYNNDER68

Raising the bed is pretty easy. 6 nuts and bolts. two by the cab and 4 in back. disconnect the feed tube , three screws behind the gas filler door, and disconnect the light harness. just unclip. lift the bed. takes four people. easy peasy. Now you have access to the back of the cab for cleaning or paint. Frame and tank are exposed. so much easier than pulling the tank from underneath. I don't know about other years or models. Pretty sure the tank will need relining. Thanks for all the tips.

FYNNDER68

The tank obviously has to still be disconnected from underneath. but the pump can be serviced with just lifting the bed. There is also a ground strap from the bed to the frame. one screw holds it.

whomadewho

You are absolutely correct. I replaced both pump and tank and hoses. I was able to remove everything from under the vehicle. To save time I lowered the tank and had to cut some hoses.

FYNNDER68

did your tank have the plastic bucket inside? I don't see much info on that. The pump for sure was clogged. Gonna have to wait for dry weather to clean tank.

whomadewho

That is a fuel baffle. Most are plastic. Some of the aftermarket tanks used a metal baffle. If the fuel tank is pitted depending on your budget you can purchase what’s called a liquid fuel tank liner or sealer? There is a rafter full of fuel tank liquid liner or sealer online. They work excellent. The solution for cleaning the inside can present problems. Most use some sort of an acid solution which can dissolve plastic parts or pieces. After using any solution with acid it’s best to rinse using baking soda. Another drawback is the fumes from some of the sealers can be overwhelming. If you are just going to flush the tank the best thing is take the tank to the local car wash? Something else NEVER undercoat the outside of the tank. Best coating is use a rattle can of paint that contains a high amount of Zinc.

FYNNDER68

Good info. thanks. gonna be a challenge. Evaporust won't hurt plastic. That might work. We'll see.

whomadewho

Might want to research cooling system flush?? Many heavy duty cleaners will work. I used a engine flush called Fleetguard it’s 10 times stronger than the part stores sell and doesn’t effect plastic.

whomadewho

Another thought you could also use a paint prep solution. Flush the tank out and spray or pour the solution in the tank. The solution will dissolve any rust or corrosion. Personally if the tank looked halfway decent I would hesitate using a sealer or a liner simply because of the plastic baffle. What ever route you go just make sure none of the sealer gets inside the box and is won’t dissolve the box.

FYNNDER68

thanks again for all the info. good stuff. I'll research these products.

FYNNDER68

A few oddities. After syphoning out the old gas, The tank was much cleaner than I had suspected. most of the rust was just dust that wiped out easy with wd40. Worse on the very inside top but cleanable as my arm fits about all the way inside. The bottom and sides were free of any rust, and the baffle,bucket, looks new. All good news with the tank. But, the fuel pump on the other hand is a disaster. Not no way or no how will this Bosch pump fit in any way with my assembly. Too fat. Hose won't line up. I aint smart enough to build a bracket. Don't get suckered in to thinking this thing will fit. It won't! Every parts house says it fits. It don't. Like the plastic tub in the bottom of the tank, I am baffled. any thoughts?

velkin
Car: 1989 Nissan Hardbody 2.4 2wd D21

I'm aware this is an old post, but I'm currently going through this on my '89 hb, Thanks for all of the information. I'm considering running new rubber (fuel) lines from the fuel pump to the engine bay.

i just want to show off my current fb
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-08 212958.png

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”