1990 Stanza manual cluch problem

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
nopeda
Car: 1990 Nissan Stanza

Hi,

I have a 1990 Nissan Stanza with a manual clutch. There's a reservoir under the hood on the driver's side and the shaft from the clutch pedal appears to go directly into the fittings it's attached to. Farther forward and in about the center there's a place to bleed the system. Pumping the pedal a few times pumps it up so it feels about normal, but after getting in gear and driving a little bit the pedal will drop half way to the floor as soon as you touch it. It can be pumped up again but will behave the same way after driving a little bit. If I stop and bleed it while the pedal will still drop when touched, a good bit of air will usually come out of the bleed valve. After doing that it will be a little better, sometimes behaving normally for a number of gear changes before the pedal starts dropping when touched and the whole thing starts over again. At first I thought it was the cap because it's pretty worn and doesn't form a seal by itself. So I put a good gasket in it and found a small C-clamp I can tighten down on it to make what's probably as good a seal as it made when new, but that doesn't seem to help much if any. Can anyone tell me what's going on, or how to figure it out? Or a better place to ask if this isn't the best forum for this sort of question?

Thanks for any help!
David

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

Sounds like your slave cylinder is taking a dive. Bleeding The air out will make it feel normal until you use the pedal a few times and it sucks more air back in.

It losing fluid too?

nopeda

It loses fluid slowly. Is the slave cylinder the part where the bleed valve is? If so, can I tell by looking at it if that's where air's getting in?

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

The slave cylinder is on the transmission and actuates the clutch fork. There is a bleed point on it, yes.

nopeda

Ace2cool wrote:The slave cylinder is on the transmission and actuates the clutch fork. There is a bleed point on it, yes.
Is there a way to tell for sure if that's what needs to be replaced? It looks okay, and I can't see any place around it where it looks like fluid is leaking out or air could be getting in. But it seems that it must be. I can put it in neutral while moving down the road and pump it up and pressure will build, but when I put it in gear and drive for a while the clutch falls almost to the floor the next time I touch it, even without using it again since putting it in gear.

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

I usually replace both the clutch master and slave cylinder at the same time.They are very inexpensive.Check this place out.http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Yeah, you either have a bad master cylinder, clutch cylinder, or corroded/rotted fitting that is somehow sucking in air/bleeding out fluid.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

sx moneypit wrote:I usually replace both the clutch master and slave cylinder at the same time.They are very inexpensive.Check this place out.http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php
^This

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

What moneypit said.

I've never done a Stanza but it's usually a pretty easy, but a little messy job to do.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”