1990 300zx TT idle issues

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Z320985
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

Greetings all.

Just bought a barn find 1990 300zx TT (automatic atm) that has been sitting for multiple years (but has only 42k miles :naughty: ). Wasn't running when I got her, but I at least have it running now.

I've replaced the fuel injectors to new style with the Z1 kit.

Replaced most of the hoses to silicone hoses (also Z1 kit).

Did both a compression test (all cylinders +/- 2 psi of 155psi) and a fuel pressure test (~36 with ignition on, 43-50psi at idle).

Also emptied the old gas and filled her up with some fresh 93.

The car will turn over but needs about quarter throttle to keep running most of the time. If I let off the throttle it stalls out almost immediately unless warmed up in which case it will idle for a bit. The fan will kick on pretty high if I give the throttle a blip. The engine also won't go over ~3-4k rpm.

I'll be doing a timing check and boost leak test soon but was wondering if there are any other obvious things that might be causing it to run so roughly.

Possibly a faulty coolant temp sensor? PTU? (still has old model PTU) Any other things I should check?

Thank you ahead of time for any help. This is the first 300zx I've owned but am already falling in love with the car. I just want to get her running right again.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Check to see if adjusting the TPS on the Left Tb does anything. Also check the idle control setting.

Z320985
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

Thank you for the reply!

Adjusted the TPS to spec and rechecked the ECU. It's now showing codes 42 and 34, so ordered a knock sensor relocation kit and a new fuel temp sensor. Hoping that these might get it running again.

The idle control screw is so corroded it won't turn, so will be buying a new IACV at some point to replace that if I can't clean it up well enough to turn again.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

I'd check all the connectors in the bay for corrosion (CAS, PTU, Coils, MAF)etc. Engine wont go past 3-4K screams MAF problem or its connection.
What did the old inj. connectors look like? Full of green corrosion?. I assume you have fresh gas in the system.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”