1989 240sx engine knock HELP!!

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Deathstryk
Car: cars, computers,drinking,drugs and women

I have a 1989 240sx, stock ka24e engine, with a k&n air filter and custom exhaust, 2 1/4 inch exhaust. Anyways, my car is making a loud "ticking" noise at 2000 rpm and higher, through all the gears, and is having trouble starting when cold. I dont burn too much oil, but my engine does have 260000 kms on it. I replaced my 1st cylinder front rocker arm, cause it seemed to have a complete hydraulic failure, but that didnt help, i have replaced the plugs and wires, the distributor cap and rotor, i have done numerous oil changed using 5w30,10w30 from low grade oil to high grade oil, and nothing seems to work. My question is : what is causing this, could it be the oil pump not giving out enough pressure?, could it be the timing chain?, or should i simply put a another head on, becuase i have one sitting here, but if it is something simple i would prefer to fix my existing head, its alot less work :p . One other thing.... what would be a good way to get a little more hp out of my car without spending too much money, any suggestions would help, thanks.:help

apex_240sx
Car: car performance and high end car audio

This is a long shot on what may be causing your knocking noise, but i used to have an 86 mustang, and one day, just out of the blue, it started knocking really really loudly. It wasn't the fact that i had no oil, and it wasn't any valvetrain components. After a 2 month project of tearing apart the engine, i found a spun bearing on the crankshaft. I sure hope that isn't the problem in your case, because it's either gonna be a long process for you to get at the crankshaft yourself (requires literally ripping the entire engine apart into every possible piece) or, a very very hefty bill from Canadian Tire. But there's really no way to check if that's your problem or not, but i'd definitly not rule out the fact that a spun bearing on the crankshaft may be your problem.

Deathstryk

well, i dont think its the crankshaft, because i had it knocking really really loudly, and i found out it was the one rocker, and i replaced it and that stopped it, so i am thinking it might be another rocker probably for the same cylinder that is rattling, hopefully....

drjohn

The rockers are a good place to start. When the valve cover is off look down the frt. of the engine at the timing chain and check to see if the timing chain guide on the drivers's side is broke off. It should stick about an inch or so above the cylinder head and block. If guide is broken or missing it's time for a chain. With that many miles or kms, if it hasn't been done it's likely do.

Deathstryk

ya i checked it and it was broken off till far down into the cover, could that cause a problem, cause the chain seems tight, and not alot of wear

drjohn

If the guide is broke off close to the top guide bolt the chain will rattle and eat the upper guide bolt away and if let go to long it will cut a grove in the timing cover at the water passage and leak coolant into the oil. The chain may look tight but you have to back the crankshaft up or forward to check the play in the chain and check for slack.

Deathstryk

could the rattle of the timing chain be what i think is the ticking, when i am running above 2000 rpm? or is that purely a rocker/rocker arm problem?

drjohn

It is likely you have 2 problems. If the chain is loose this usually goes away at higher rpm and is more noticable at idle. The timing chain works off oil pressure at the timing chain tensioner and if pressure is low do to tensioner over exstended than lifters may be noisey. You will have to fix the chain 1st then check further if the chain is actually bad.

Deathstryk

well.... say when i am driving at 110 kmh, and sitting in 5th, at 2600 rpm its a constant rattle, same as in any gear i sit in where i idle at 2000 rpm and up, so that could be the timing chain then? if so, it is cheap to buy a replacement set, they go for 140$, but how do i check my oil pressure to see if it is ok? maybe its just my oil pump being all messed up

drjohn

There comes a point in time when the guide for the chain breaks off and the tensioner won't take up the chain slack and the chain rattles all the time. If you are not sure it might be a good idea to take it to a shop. If the chain jumps timing you can bend valves, knock holes in pistons etc. not very pretty not to cheap to repair either.

Deathstryk

i know this may be a little off topic, but how easy would it be to replace my engine, with say......a 327 ci from a chevy? the reason i ask is my friend just wrote off his car, and he had a fully rebuilt 327 in it and i bought it for 100 CAD, so i figured maybe i could put it into my car and take care of the problem, otherwise i could buy the same 240sx ka24e engine for 600$, but any engine you could recommend for under 1000$ i would appreciate knowing what would fit in, just because it would be better to get a new engine than to put up with the hassle of trying to keep this one alive :)

drjohn

Anythings possible, I've seen 350's in 280z's.

crypt2k
Car: cars, women, what else.

well... is it easy to replace the timing chain guides with the valve cover off? Or do you have to take more stuff out to be able to work in there.

ka24de_510

you said you heard it on the freeway in 5th gear? are you sure it's the engine? even though the chain tensioner is broken, I wouldn't think it could be THAT noisy. I'd even check your transmission/driveshaft for play. my 510 had a worn u-joint that rattled at certain rpm in certain gears until it broke. luckily it didn't break enough to fall off the car. I would put the rear of your car on jackstands and get someone to put it in 5th gear and try to find the noise first.

97sx240
Car: cars, girls. racing, engines

i had the same problem, i could never figure it out in my old 89 240. i took of the whole front end of the motor *took me 4 hours*found out to be the guides all broken. i bought the kit but i never installed it. i wound up sellin the car. if i were u id recomend sellin the thing, its a mission and a half to do it.

drjohn

You have to start somewhere and if the guides are broken thats the place to start.You just have to decide to do it or take it somewhere and have it done. Don't drive it though,right now it's just a chain if it breaks it could be valves and pistons.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”