1989 240SX Electrical problems

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Green_day4life1
Car: 1989 Nissan 240SX

So, I just bought a 1989 240SX and I'm having electrical problems. None of the electrical's work when I start it, and it takes 15 to 20 minutes before anything turns on, and when It does start working everything turns on at once. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

Akuhyo
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX Hatch

Most likely something with the ignition wire, a situation like this requires more diagnosis to pinpoint the problem

Green_day4life1
Car: 1989 Nissan 240SX

Alright

Akuhyo
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX Hatch

Green_day4life1 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:22 am
So, I just bought a 1989 240SX and I'm having electrical problems. None of the electrical's work when I start it, and it takes 15 to 20 minutes before anything turns on, and when It does start working everything turns on at once. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?
First off, we cannot give you a solution without an in-depth analysis of your issue. We need more information to go off of, since just saying none of the electricals work isn't quite enough.

Here are some possibilities of what might fix your issue:
  • Check your battery cables, make sure all of them are in good shape. Look at your terminals, and check all of your grounds.
  • Take out a multimeter and remove the trim around your steering column so you can access your ignition barrel, check continuity for the 4 wires on the back of it.
  • Check your fuses! Especially your ignition switch fuse.
I'm willing to bet it's the 2nd option on that list, I forgot which plug it is- but there are two plugs at the front of the car near the USDM battery tray location. One is gray, the other is brown. On one of these plugs, there should be a black/red wire. Take out a multimeter, ground one end, and with the other end, check the black/red wire pin and if you don't have continuity- then you have a problem.

Feel free to ask me more questions, just went over ALL of the wiring on my car since I'm currently DIYing the s*** out of my wiring harness. Just did an S14 KA swap into an S13 while keeping the S14 harness, couldn't find any documentation on it so I just had to make do with the FSM.

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/use-ni ... abase.html

^FSMs, for reference. Yeah... you're going to have to start working through symptoms to find the problem here.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”