1989-1994 240sx: MAF problems tutorial

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

work-in-progress

MAF cleaning:

"Avoid using solvents that leave residues: like the aromatics [toluene, xylene]. Use electrical parts cleaner or Windex and a Q-tip to gently scrub the wires clean. Acetone, methelyene chloride or chloroform will also work well. (NOTE: It has been said that carburetor cleaner is too harsh to use).Note: The Q-tip method is recommended only when the sensor wires are really dirty and simply spraying cleaner on them will not clean them. Be very careful when using a Q-tip! Use a Q-tip and gently scrub the wires.

If the MAF wires are not really dirty you shouldn't need to use a Q-tip. Just spray the wires and let dry. If there is still gunk on them - use a q-tip to clean them. If you break a wire you are screwed. Do NOT scrape with anything. " by RogomanMAF testing(for the proceeding test , the maf is connected to ecu so you have to pull back rubber part at connector and insert tester probe)1.Warm engine2. with engine off and ignition in ON position, test between terminal 1and ground . should read .2 volts3.with engine on at idle, it should be 1-1.4 volts

There are 4 terminals on the plug 4 3 2 1-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing thats really important here is check that ground on your MAF make sure it is under .2 volts drop to ground

Modified by vancouverbc at 5:50 PM 11/30/2007
Modified by vancouverbc at 10:30 PM 11/30/2007

240sxvaj
Car: 1991 240sx fastback KA-T- SOLD!
1994 MKIV TT-Daily/Track

let me try

marryson
Car: 240sx

hi, where are the wires? do u mean the wires from the plug where u unplug to remove the MAF? or is it the tiny tiny wires inside that little hole on the maf?? thx

TerrySilasack
Car: 1990 s13 FB MT SE

my ground is on the frame. is that a good enough ground? and what wire to clean with a q-tip ? the 2 little wire on the MAF?

novocaine
Car: 1991 240sx

had fun doing this today. im in school for electrical work (commercial, industrial & residential) so it was cool using the multimeter. anyhow everything spec'd out so i'll move on to something else. only question i had was this: there were 3 wires coming out of 3 different terminals. is there supposed to be a 4th wire coming out of the 4 terminal? i looked through the FSM and and a chilton manual and couldn't find an answer. have a good weekend!

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”