1988 Nissan D21 Truck

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
tdbolwing
Car: 1988 D21 Nissan Truck Standard Tranny

I have a 88 Nissan d21 truck that is smoking very bad. Very high mileage but, I want to put an a new engine in it. The body and interior are in excellent condition and I love love love this truck. My son sent me to this site to get input and assistance. It is a 4 cylinder, standard tranny. Now, I will tell you if this was a motorcycle I would know what to do and where to go but, alas, I am here asking for everybody's input and assistance. Thank you and appreciate your patience with this newbie. Terri

JasperIAM

Not sure about an 88, but I just bought a new motor for my 95 from O'Reilly. I looked all over online and after reading reviews, decided I'd rather spend a little more and go with a company I know.

As far as a motor swap goes, I think that if you are mechanicly capable, you should be ok. I keep a computer in my garage as a tool. There is so much info out there, just work on your google search skills. I also had a Chilton and a Haynes manual for help.

Good luck!

Jason

tdbolwing
Car: 1988 D21 Nissan Truck Standard Tranny

Thank you for your reply and options...will go over all my options. Again, Thank you

Kr5Kouki
Car: 1997 240SX, Silvia Clone.

any KA24de or KA24E from a 240sx would fit your truck no problem, just reuse your transmission and drive line.
you'll need a new wiring harness and computer if you go to the DE. These motors arent expensive second hand. I can find them all day on craigslist here in TN.

the removal and installation is straight forward.
-remove all connections to the motor from the motor harness
-remove all fluids [oil/coolant]
-remove coolant hoses/heater hoses
-disconnect transmission if not removing with motor

-remove and replace motor and reconnect.

remember to make sure "new" motor is at proper compression, if available may wanna change major gaskets, fuel filter and air/oil filter.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”