1988 Need help replacing front struts.

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
RetroZ
Car: 1988 300zx n/a

So I have to replace my front struts for inspection purposes and I followed this video step by step ( https://youtu.be/jFCEfaZlXx0 ) even disconnected the ball joint to the control arm and the darn thing won't drop. From what I see there should be no reason why this thing refuses to lower. Nothing is connected to the control arm and all 3 nuts on top have been removed. There couldn't possibly be a difference between an '86 and '88 in how far the control arm can drop?! I'm really trying not to take the whole assembly apart because all that needs changing is the cartridge. I'm stumped and could really use some help with this problem.

Thanks.

schoolingthree
Car: 1987 300zx base ttop

i just got done doing this job on a 1987 300zx. the video shows doing this job while leaving the strut assembly attached to the lower control arm. I found it to be easier in the long run to take the whole strut out as an assembly. These are the steps i took to do the job. First remove the brake line clip,next remove the brake caliper,next remove the sway bar and strut rod from the lower control arm [3 nuts]make sure the strut rod separates from the lower control arm ,this may require a hammer next remove the 2 bolts holding the knuckle arm to the strut assembly next use a chisel to separate the knuckle assembly from the strut assembly. Just force the chisel between the two and it should pop loose next remove the 3 upper nuts that attach the strut to the body. you should be able to take out the whole strut and change the cartridge on a work bench. you will need a spring compressor or just take to a suspension shop and have them change the cartridges for you. I hope this helps

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”