1988 D21 4x4 Need Engine Swap HELP

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
texashardbod
Car: 1988 D21 4x4

Hello new to the forum thanks in advance to all that can help. I have acquired a 1988 D21 4X4 to use as a daily driver work vehicle. It needed an engine it has the Z24i and was run out of oil. I found a 1986 Z24 engine in a salvage yard that has 800 miles on it. It was burnt but engine survived with little damage. The distributor was melted and the half moon plug on the head under the rocker arm cover was slightly scorched. I received the engine and was comparing it to the one in the pickup and here is what i found(everyone that knows the z24 is probably way ahead of me here!!!):

1988 Z24i has a single row timing chain and a different style front cover and different distributor
1986 z24 has double row timing chain and a short style distributor

I know I will have to change the oil pan from the 88 to the 86 engine as well as the oil pickup due to it being a 4X4
But what can I do about the difference in distributor? Can I put the 88 z24i front cover on the 86 engine and use the 88 distributor?
I don't have a distributor for an 86 it got too warm to reuse. If I can put the 88 front cover on the 86 engine will I have to change the distributor drive gear to use the 88 distributor? Please help with guidance here. I will list below what I am planning on using from the 88 just so you know where I am at and if I will encounter more problems down the road.

I am planning on using the 1988 intake with throttle body as well as the exhaust manifold. I was planning on using all of the accessories from the 1988 I am mainly just using the 1986 block and head and internals.

Is this do-able or am I in for a lot of heartache?

Thank you for your help!!!!!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”