1987 SE-V6 fuel pump options?

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
i8acobra
Car: 1987 Nissan Hardbody SE V6

So I'm resurrecting my old '87 SE-V6 2wd manual. Short story is I need a new fuel pump assembly, including the fuel level senders. Will a non-SE fuel pump assembly work? Here's the long story...

I've had the truck since new. About 12 years ago, the fuel pump went out. I lifted the bed and painted the frame while it was off. I replaced the pump with the very last OEM pump on the planet. Nissan doesn't make them any more and there was only one in the country. I had it shipped to my dealer from a dealer in Florida. Well, I put about 3 gallons of gas in the truck and drove it to the car wash to spray off the years of mud from the frame so I could paint it. After all that, I put the bed on it and it then sat until today. You can guess what shape that brand new pump is in now. So, now I need another pump assembly, but there are none. Now before you tell me, "they're all over eBay", remember, my truck is an SE, so it has the dual fuel gauges and two floats on the fuel pump. All of the assemblies on the internet have a single float. Has anyone already found a workaround for my situation, or am I a pioneer? Once I get this sorted, I'm swapping in a reman engine. Mine's got 465k miles on it and it's tired.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Never run across a or seen a dual float fuel pump assembly. Does the sending unit for the fuel gauge still work? If it does you might be able to mount an external fuel pump. Might be able purchase an aftermarket fuel tank. Any possibility of mounting the standard OEM single float tank.

i8acobra
Car: 1987 Nissan Hardbody SE V6

whomadewho wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:47 pm
Any possibility of mounting the standard OEM single float tank.
Dunno? That's why I'm asking.

whomadewho

Question... Is the actual fuel tank any good? Does it have the baffle inside the tank? I am thinking the tank is a 21.1 gallon fuel tank, which was standard. Some options... If your tank Doesn’t have the baffle you can purchase a liquid gas tank liner. It completely seals rust pits. Tank will be like new last forever. If you can go this route I would highly recommend going to the self service car wash. Also found used fuel tanks. Depending on the salvage yard,a lot of them don’t ship fuel tank. In that case purchase the tank and have them ship the sending unit and pump. GO ONLINE....... Car-parts.com. I looked they have a rafter full of 21.1 and 15.9 tanks.

whomadewho

It’s car-part.com. Not car parts

whomadewho

Back to looking....you have the last dual pump You can TRY measuring the single sending unit.??? Or find a used tank and sending unit. Almost sounds like the truck was made over the pond.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”