1987 D21 V6 idling problems

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
1987Hardbodynoob
Car: 1987 Nissan D21 Hardbody SE V6 3.0L 4x4

Hey there! I'm new to nico, and I just recently bought a 1987 4x4 se hardbody. Turns out that the guy I bought it from was a lil shady. When I looked at it, great tranny and oil fluid. After driving it home, looked again- oil as black as night, and the transmission fluid was the 'strawberry milkshake' color. Took care of that, but it has a lot of other issues. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, radiator, and hoses. The interior was filthy. When driving it home, I turned on the fan and it blew mouse turds everywhere. but it's a cool looking truck. Anyways, one of the issues it has is idling. I looked on the hood and it said that the idle speed should be at 700 rpms. When you first start the truck though, it idles at like 2,300 rpms and revs, drops down to about 1,100 rpms and then revs again. After you drive it for a while, though, it quits doing that and drops to a steady 1000 rpms. :gotme Any ideas?

mrfnk
Car: 1986.5 nissan 4x4 hardbody

i had an idle problem in my 1986.5 4x4 vg30. sounds like the fast idle is sticking. easy fix. kinda. you need to have clean cooling fluid because this acts as a choke for your throttle body,

take off your air filter top and bottom, its attached but right in front of throttle body. to fix my problem i loosened a locking screw and used channel locks to squeeze and release it over and over with wd40. try not to mess with the adjusting screws to much. but the settings are in the book if you need them.

i call my truck my grandpa's truck. he took good care of it and didn't drive it much, and its never seen the dirt. so its pretty clean.

i asked this question and got no answers. so i hope this helps you. good luck

its called the fast idle
i'll try to take a pick and post it to this link for you

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”