1986.5 4wd v6 3.0 idle glitch, and head light plug problem

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
mrfnk
Car: 1986.5 nissan 4x4 hardbody

Hello, any advice would greatly be appreciated. I have a 86.5 4x4 with a 3.0 v6 and for a few weeks now when I come to a red light or get off the freeway or just step on the clutch, my truck will (sometimes) idle from 1500 rpm go up to 200 rpm and then drop down to 1500 rpm and go up again and just keep doing that, go up and down. this happens until I begin to let off the clutch when I'm in gear, and runs fine as long as I'm driving until I come to a stop and have go back to neutral. So this only happens sometimes. I fixed a cracked vacuum line, and tightened my valve covers. but it still (sometimes) bounces its idle. I went to a link I found while reading another post, https://nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-ha ... anuals.htm but the FSM for my truck year was not there...

Another issue, my left headlight went out (over time). it would work, then when I turned right it would turn on and stay on until next time, then one day it stopped working. So I bought and replaced both headlights. the drivers side was still not working so I switched lights, and the light that worked on the right side and did not work on the left side. So I tested the three pronged plug, on the side that worked two prongs were 12 volts and one 0 volts, on the broken side one prong was 12 volts, one was 0 volts and the other was 6 volts. the plug wire goes into a bundle and the wire harness is covered so I can't follow the wire to the other side to test it. so if anyone knows and could tell me where those wires go to that would be great, and any suggestions on fixing my headlight would be great.
THANKS.

mrfnk
Car: 1986.5 nissan 4x4 hardbody

not one comment. the worst kind of problems is the glitch. so satisfying, especially when you figure them out.

it turned out to be some part in front of the throttle body, i'm still not sure of the name of the part (it has water lines going to it) it was frozen (not cold, but stuck). my friend hit it with wd40, messed with it and adjusted it,(it controlled my high idle) but it seemed to fix the problem with the idle

my headlight is still not working. any ideas???

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”