*** 1986 300zx random hose ?***

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
cgmacias
Car: 1986 300zx

Two questions
There's a loose hose , coming out of what looks to be the passenger side wheel wale. Ayone know what it might be. Its right under and next to what looks like a turbo?but Not sure. Car runs poorly, figured it might have something g to do with it. I have images but have no idea how to post.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Welcome to Nico!
You didn't give us much to go on but I'll throw some info at you and we'll see if any of it is helpful.
The thing that looks like a turbo is most likely the injector cooling fan, it's a holdover for the hydrolock days on the late S30's and S130's, pretty much useless, you can ignore it completely or remove it as many do, it has zero effect on how your car runs or drives it was intended to prevent vapor lock on earlier cars which wasn't a real issue on later cars.

The small vac lines in the area of that corner of the engine bay go to the charcoal canister which is buried in that area. One line is the vent line coming from the gas tank it should be hooked to a hard line on the frame rail, one is the purge and should go to the intake and the other is the vac that comes off the manifold, if the lines on the intake and manifold arte plugged it won't effect how the car runs it just off gasses fuel vapor into the intake tract during deceleration.

Now if your car is running like crap the first thing to do is check the ecu for code, and here is how you do that:
http://xenonzcar.com/z31/ECUcodes.html

Hope that helps, please update as with your findings

cgmacias

:dblthumb: awesome thanks! ICU flashed what seemed to be a ignition misfire code. Also when the car is running and I turn on my headlights, all the lights on the dashboard turn on.

evildky

Great ignition misfire, check the plugs, cap, rotor button and plug wires. Most likely it's plugs and wires.

When you say all the lights come on I'm guessing we aren't talking about the illumination lights but the "idiot lights". Do you have an aftermarket stereo? if so, remove it, see if the problem clears up. Often people will hook a stereo ground to the stereo illumination circuit.

cgmacias

Update: :woot: solved misfire problem by replacing wires, distcap, rotor and plugs. Haha I was definitely talking about the "idiot lights". I did find a live wire touching ground from the radio and shirnkwrapped it. Still unsure if that was the problem. Since my dashboard was completly rusted and cracked . I decided to take apart and attempt to restore it. Previous to taking apart, my alternator was constantly draining my batt with no charge. I took the alternator off and it tested good at both O'Reillys and auto zone. Could that bad ground somewhere be the possible problem ?

evildky

simple test, if the battery drains, unplug the alternator next time you let it sit and see if the batt still drains. Often the voltage reg on the inside of the alt will "stick" draining the battery. If that's not it I'd start pulling fuses.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”