1986 300Z Need Help w/Valuation Please New to Classic Nissans

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
jthan.ami
Car: ???

Hi there folks! So I have a 1968 Ford Mustang I've mechanically restored myself through and through....I know about THOSE classic cars but not so much the Nissans.

https://youtube.com/shorts/AdmEn2yVHNo?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/EXKg5PEmLco?feature=share

124k miles....It's a 1986 Naturally Aspirated v6 with a 5-sp manual, and analog gauges. The interior is in immaculate condition (a bit musty) and it is a 2+2...there are no rear seats. Targa tops. This would be a fun car. Possibly a project car.

I'm wondering about what the values are on them these days? Here are some videos of the basic outside and engine bay.

How hard is it to get replacement, and aftermarket parts for these, and are they super pricey?

Lady is an 80-year neighbor wants to sell her Z due to age related problems of driving a stickshift. I helped her jump start it. Lots of lifter noise at first but then quieted down with an occasional light misfire and ran very nicely after it came out of it's slumber.

Does have a bit of rust flaking by the rear lower quarter plastic things. Paint looks pretty baked...not sure how well these buff out when oxidized. Was graze by small ding impact once.

Any information, ball park on prices and 'what to look for' on the platform is great appreciated! She has not put a price on it yet.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard. I'm a longtime Datsun restorer and collector, so I think I probably have a pretty good handle on valuations.

The Z31 is probably the second-least "desirable" of the classic Z cars, with the S130 being first.

The missing rear seats, 2+2, 124k miles, shagged paint, dent, and beginnings of rust all detract significantly from the value. On the plus side, parts are inexpensive and the manual trans is a plus.

I'd say if you wanted the car as a project, I wouldn't offer more than $2k.

Hagerty lists it at $8900 for a #4 vehicle, with "Fair" condition being the description for a #4. However, I've never seen one sell for that kind of $ unless it's an Anniversary Edition or a higher condition car. If you went through it and corrected all the flaws, you'd have $9k into it, and could probably sell it for $4-5k.

Here's some auctions to peruse: https://bringatrailer.com/nissan/300zx/?q=300zx Keep in mind, BaT car are typically #1 or #2 condition, lower-mileage cars that are "special" in some way.

Hope that's helpful.

jthan.ami

Awesome AZ, I was hoping a guy like you would reply. Thanks.

Yeah, I like it because of the year (I was 10 yrs old when these came out) and the 80's styling. Had an '85 and '92 Supra once. Oh I know ALL about BAT. It's mostly for high-end 'special' cars (even if they are not special) and people who have too much money to lose buying a car they will never see, and don't care because they know nothing anyhow. I knew a guy who bought a '67 Fastback for 40k off there a few years ago and then had to pay another 30k more to get a paint and restoration.

The no-rear-seats (I am assuming the 2+2 came that way, it looked like it) and the not highly desirable status is all a plus for me. If I want crazy power, speed and room I've got another car, a 2016 German sedan for that. I've already got a restored '68 Mustang too, I'd not want to put more than 2-3k into fixing this appearance wise. DIY repairs and maybe a cheap paint job. Maybe even learn to DIY that. Biggest challenge/fun for me is fixing as much as I can myself....aside from being a cheapo :)

YES, saw that silly Hagerty valuation, and it's the first thing that Google pops up... and it is RIDICULOUS. I have seen through the link you just sent me and Hemmings you can get a very nice one in good appearance for 8-10k. So it's looking like more of a 2-3k car (prices are high for everything here I'm near Washington, D.C.)

Only the Turbos Models, if very clean and manual are commanding anything near top premiums for '86-'87. The later twin turbo Z's are the money cars. Just like the Supra's.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments. Are there any other big things on these cars? Like blows rear ends, rear main seals leaks, valve trains....etc. Are the engine and trans a nightmare to pull? I do have access to a lift at work.

I've done all that restoration mechanical type stuff but on my '68 Mustang. I did however send it off for professional paint work though =) I can't do it all.

SirNibbles
Car: 1986 Nissan 300ZX (Z31) VQ35DE

Are you sure that's a 2+2? It was hard to see from the videos, but based on the floor height looking through the rear hatch, it doesn't look like it is.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

For sure that isn't a 2+2, I think 2k is max I would pay for that condition. I have a 84' NA 5-speed leather/digital with 172k but mine is in superior condition with great paint job, hugely upgraded steroe and everything working and interior a 9 out of 10 and I insure on Haggerty for $8,500

jthan.ami

Well, follow up on this. Sadly it ain't happening. Guess the ole granny "knows what she got" and after months of patiently applying I told her it's by next month or I can't because I'm buying house soon.

She goaded me into making an offer and would not even tell me what she wants. I offered 1800. She wouldn't even counter. So I'm done with her. Let her find out the hard way :) Lady is over 80 and hardly even remembers the last coversations we had. Sick of it.

Now going to look into a mid 2000's 350z. The few 300zx there are from 85-87 that are in any kind of nice shape (usually not) are ridiculously overpriced. Would rather have a modern-ish 350z at those prices. Saw a nice 86' across the country in CA listed for 12k. Non Turbo car 162k miles. Kinda ridic.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Probably better off doing that vs. older car that will for sure have issues/problems/gremlins to chase and fix. I bought my 84' Brand new Feb 2nd 1984 but if it was to be totalled or stolen (unlikely) I wouldn't try to chase down another old Z....

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”