1985 nissan king cab 4x4

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
wesannie
Car: 1985 nissan king cab 4x4

i just got this truck, and it has some issues,it runs ok, but it idles at 2100 RPM, and i cant find any where, an adjustment screw,or some way of setting it down, also,after i turn the key off,it keeps running, till i have to put it in gear,and let the clutch out,(gently of course) i am new to this and any help will be much appriciated.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome! Topic moved to the 720 forum.

thorn726
Car: nissan 1986 (1985.5) 720

factory carb or no? factory has a block over the idle adjustment screw you would have to pry out but that is probably not the problem. Two things i can suggest- looking for vacuum leaks or improper routing, and or the auto choke can get stuck on which will keep the idle high. You can test that one by warming up the truck, then open air filter and jam the butterfly open with a little rubber hose or something... if that brings idle down that may be the problem.. I'm no expert and while i have solved it that way on my truck, i have no idea which part of the carb rebuild solves the auto choke issue, or if that is even a totally accurate description. I use my factory carb sometimes and have gotten it to stop idling so high by doing that, warm it up, put something in the butterfly to keep it stuck halfway open, runs fine but wont start like that.... As far as the dieseling (doesnt shut off) i'd love to hear suggestions on that one i have a weber and it diesels sometimes. That's basically fuel going to the engine after you shut it off, so possible the high idle is causing it// can be a lot of things tho

Return to “Datsun 720”