1985 Nissan 720 Start problems

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
thegoodmuffin
Car: 1985 Nissan 720

Should mention I’m fairly new to truck repair, I’m stuck and I’d appreciate any help. I recently had my 720 pick up shipped from west coast to east and the upper radiator hose exploded on the drive home. I’ve since fixed both hoses and I now have trouble turning the car on. It generally starts in the morning after it’s been sitting but won’t start afterwards. I’ve changed the ignition coils (wasn’t sure which one it was so I changed them both) and it’s the same result. the starter has been recently replaced as well. hoping it’s not the electronics from the coolant explosion but she’ll start up fine on the first try. also having trouble with higher gears now, the truck doesn’t like to accelerated to 3rd and 4th gear ~ thinking the radiators clogged? it’s quickly becoming a project. It’s a lot of information but I’d love some insight if you have any, it’s still the coolest truck I’ve ever seen. thanks.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The first thing to check (because it's easy and eliminates a lot) is fuel. Once it's warm and misbehaving, have someone crank it while you spray some Brakleen or Gumout down the intake. If it fires right up then it's fuel-starved, if it makes no difference then the problem is elsewhere.

Return to “Datsun 720”