1985 dually rear axle nut socket

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
jjbailey
Car: 1985 Nissan 720 Sunrader MH, full float dually, z24, 5sp.

I have a 1985 Sunrader 720 chassis full float dually. I'm having a difficult finding the axle nut socket locally or online.

waynosworld

I am not sure what nut you are talking about, I am assuming your not talking about the lugnuts, so are you talking about the nut held on by screws after you have pulled the axle out?
I don't come here that often, my email address is below.

[email protected]

jjbailey
Car: 1985 Nissan 720 Sunrader MH, full float dually, z24, 5sp.

Update: I have been able to find an old Nissan part/tool number in my Chilton's. #KV40104400. Google has no relevant results, so it either never existed, or it has been redacted to cover up some sort of conspiracy theory as far as I can tell.

To clarify, it is the axle nut, aka hub nut, aka spindle nut for the rear axle. It is circular, not hex. It has 6 holes spaced evenly around it, two of them threaded to retain the lock washer. I'm aware of the hacks to bypass this problem and have used such methods successfully on beater rides in a pinch. However, I'm not treating this project as a beater ride and would rather not beat up my nearly pristine original parts. I've found several sockets that come close, but none just quite right to modify easily and properly. I am looking for info on sourcing the proper tool, or one that can be easily modified to perform properly. I will find the solution I'm looking for and will update. If I end up making the tool from scratch, I will. Thanks.

Return to “Datsun 720”