1984 King cab 720 general frustrations...

General discussion forum about all things Datsun! NOTE: If your thread is specific to a certain model, please make sure you post it in the proper forum.
docdog
Car: 1984 720 King Cab PU

Brand new here... New owner of my first Datsun truck. It's an '84 King Cab, carbed. Has a few probs which are general and I'm figuring out. A service manual is on the way, but I don't think it will ID the engine - which has been replaced.
This engine has a WHITE valve cover and an embossed NISSAN Z. After that, at the firewall, a vertical bar which could either be a I or a 1 or neither - just the end of the border around the name. it is not the original engine and has therefore left many wire connectors and hoses, etc dangling... plus the "mechanics" who did the job WEREN'T. It runs ok, but I've found many vac ports uncapped and lines loose and deteriorated. Some I've replaced. A challenge. I've looked over FASTBOATMAN's articles and will see if I can apply some of it, or may just do the caps routine.
I changed the oil and filter and now have a light on the oil gauge, but can't find the sender. Neither the temp gauge or gas gauge work. A new thermostat, but the radiator does not get very hot, only warm, yet the accessible heater hoses in the cab are hot.
So far, my usual treatment to any new acquisition - New plugs; oil & filter; clean dist towers; new fan belt; lube job; thermostat; new anti-freeze; new battery cable ends.
That's all in the past few days.
The oil light and the temp problem bother me the most right now... also the ID of the engine or where to find ID numbers, etc.
If anyone has help, I'd really appreciate your expertise!
Doc

Return to “Datsun Chat”