1983.5 720 kc 4x4 lifters

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
lawnmowersammie
Car: 83 nissan kc 720

I just had the head rebuilt (Z engine) now i have lifter noise what can remidy that? extra oil ok or bad idea?

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

Adjust the valve lash, duh Your engine requires this procedure, for real dude, don't go relying on heavier oil, or more of the same oil, when the "problem" isn't really a problem at all, the valves are suppsed to need adjusting, especially after breaking in from a rebild.

lawnmowersammie

i didn't do the work a garage in town did and they are gonna adjust the valves in 500 miles will that quiet things down? and the lifter noise should go away after that right??

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

Well, don't expect it to be silent like a Bentley engine, it's not supposed to be that way, and by expecting a silent valvetrain you will only be setting yourself up for disappointment. It's normal for it to need adjustment after a rebuild, and every so often throughout the life of the engine, good thing you got an appointment for them to set it, so that is taken care of. When I did mine, the manual said to perform the operation while the engine is at normal operating temperature. I found this to be impossible given the time it takes to complete this, so I adjusted them to the cold engine specs while the engine was room temp, (72 degrees outside that day), and had better results that way. Not silent, but just right, (ticka ticka ticka ticka ticka...)
Modified by seang at 4:23 PM 10/3/2009

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

yeah... just drive it nice and easy for the break in... then get those things adjusted!!!

lawnmowersammie

when they check the head it was warped 18K so they used a "head saver" shim type deal to make up the differance the shop foreman said that he has used them alot with great results. the noise is just annoying and i hope it quiets down after the 500 mile adjustment i will let you know i have noticed that the oil pressure is alot better.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

If you're new to the Z engine, it will take a bit before you get used to it. They are not noisy but they are not quiet. Just take your time for the break in, do the adjustment then enjoy the runs.

lawnmowersammie

As an update the truck iss now totally gutless i can barely reach 75 mph i talked to the mechnics that did the work and they said it has nothing to do with the work they did what am i missing??

PEZi

well... never trust mechanics... that's what you're missing

now without knowing the exact symptoms i don't know what's wrong with it.. but i'd say its their fault

damn
Car: 1986 Nissan 720 z24, Automatic trans

lawnmowersammie wrote:As an update the truck iss now totally gutless i can barely reach 75 mph i talked to the mechnics that did the work and they said it has nothing to do with the work they did what am i missing??
Is it still making noises? If so pull the valve cover and cut some cardboard to place around the outside edges of the head to keep oil from splashing and start the truck...Loosen each rocker until it starts tapping then retighten until it stop's then tighten another 1/4 turn or so until all rocker's are quiet.

lawnmowersammie

how do you set the engine to top dead center? i think that they may have missed a cog on the timing chain and tried to compensate by putting the distributor in wrong? but that would make it back fire right? it idles fine it starts fine it just doen't have any top end at all???

Project Trucker
Car: Datsun 720 pickup

the first time i re tuned my truck we re did the valve gaps and my truck became louder and had a better acceleration but top speed has always been around 75 on my truck or 80 i think the mechanics probable tuned your truck to stock specs but you never know what they have done unless you watch them do it lol

PEZi

lawnmowersammie wrote:how do you set the engine to top dead center? i think that they may have missed a cog on the timing chain and tried to compensate by putting the distributor in wrong? but that would make it back fire right? it idles fine it starts fine it just doen't have any top end at all???
top dead center is simply cyl one at the top of its stroke... you can check this in any creative way you want... one way is to unplug the spark plugs and peek in

lawnmowersammie

i guess when i worked on v-8's TDC was when the rotor was pointing at the # 1 plug (not so with the nissans?) anyhow thanks for all the replies

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

You can do that way, they even have 8 spark plugs. lol.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

To ensure you're at top dead center, remove any spark plug in No. 1 and stick a screw driver in the hole, turn the engine over slowly by hand holding the handle of the screw driver upright. When the screw driver stops moving up you're at TDC. Check the timing marks on the front cover to make sure. The cut on the pulley should be at the pointer or very close to it.

lawnmowersammie

thanks alot!! it still doesn' t have any top end power and now there is a tick (not a knock) comming from the bottom end of the motor. I have a new motor spotted (donor truck with bad carb) will just have to see i guess i will just have to live with it can i advance the timeing abit without hurting anything?

Return to “Datsun 720”