1982 Datsun 720 2WD Resurrection

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
petercscherer
Car: 1972 Datsun 240Z
1982 Datsun 720 2WD

In this thread, I'm going to simply share the process that I've recently gone through while taking my newly acquired 1982 720 from just being a beater pick-up to being what I consider to be an example of the sport-truck culture of the 70's & 80's.

Here's the truck when I went to pick it up from the seller's house locally in Lubbock, Texas

I first started by removing those ugly dual exhaust pipes out the back; they weren't true duals, just a splitter behind the cab that ran into two obnoxiously loud resonators at the rear... Super annoying, so I stopped at my muffler shop on the way home and had them go back to a stock-style exhaust system.

Step one for me was heading to the local Wrench-A-Part for some much needed pieces to get it on the road again. I found a nice 1983 King Cab and promptly robbed the the gauge-cluster, interior package tray, and a dealer-installed rear bumper from a dealership here in Lubbock, Texas.

I was able to combine the original gauge-cluster with the one from the parts truck to result in having the optional tach and clock. Of course, being 1980's electronics, neither one works, but at least the dash looks more "full" now.

Next, I needed wheels and tires; the old ones were badly weather-checked and out-of-round. I read on here about how the user named Smyrna720 was able to make 2001-2003 SIlverado rims work on these trucks and I followed in his footsteps. His thread can be found here: my-i-bought-this-720-and-its-a-pos-so-l ... 50047.html

So, after locating a set of free rims from a Chevy guy upgrading to huge wheels, I had my local Firestone shop install a set of Firehawk tires. I combined this with a pair of 2" lowering blocks in the rear and releasing the front torsion bars a comparable amount.

It was at this point that I really started driving the truck every single day and it started to come out of its slumber. It seemed to perform okay, but the original drivetrain seemed a tad anemic. One night, I was driving home and all of a sudden I hear a sound like metallic pop-corn coming from the motor; it subsequently started to misfire and stumble and I knew something was not okay. I pulled it into the shop the next day and began disassembling the top-end of the 2.2 Liter engine.

Hmm, upper valve-train seems fine. No damage, sludge, or broken timing chain.... Let's pull the head off.

I don't believe that valve should be out that far, nor should there be a twisted spark-plug head in the number 2 cylinder. A quick inspection of the cylinder discovered this bugger:

Somehow, this piece of metal had gotten into the engine and had smashed my spark plugs and bent the valves in the #2 cylinder. No idea how it got in there since I'd only had the air cleaner off once for like 2 seconds while inspecting the filter condition when I bought it. I believe that whatever it was had fallen into the intake awhile ago and got stuck in the bottom of the intake manifold until it got sucked out while I was driving and wound up in the cylinder chamber.

Luckily, no damage to the piston, but that old head/valve was shot. I was able to find a rebuild head on eBay for super cheap and had ordered one and we promptly installed it, as well as a complete upper gasket set. New oil pump and timing chain were also installed at this time.

I'd taken the opportunity to order a Weber carb kit as well as some Pacesetter headers so I installed those while I had the truck torn down this far:

While pulling all the emissions stuff off, I wondered how much of it was actually necessary for the truck to function... Some research online led me to some sources on how to de-smog my truck for a more powerful and impressive engine. Afterwards, it looks much cleaner under the hood and the vehicle now breathes very nicely thanks to the new carb and headers.

Back on the road again, the truck now performs even better and I've instantly seen a 4-5MPG increase in mileage as well as the added power available.

But, I couldn't leave it alone for long. The stock bench seat was far from comfortable or stylish, so I began researching around the internet for some replacement options. I read on several different bucket-seat installations, but I didn't like that most were junkyard quality cloth seats, so I went looking for some vinyl/leather buckets to install. That's when I found a 1976 Datsun 280Z in the Wrench-A-Part and I knew I'd found my next project.

The old materials were super raunchy and worn-out so I took advantage of a clearance sale at The ZStore and picked up an uphostery & foam set and redid the seats over a weekend. The turned out super nice and mounted in with little modifications.

I also re-upholstered the hideous door panels that had previously been done in grey cloth, ugh.....

It was at this point that the truck became more than simply an everyday driver, and is now my baby. I feel the urge to make it the best possible Datsun that I can. So.... I decided to custom fabricate a set of panels to hide the rear of the cab in the interior. Usually, this wouldn't bother me, but I wanted to finish out the interior.
Some sheet metal got bent and molded to fit the cab:

I upholstered them to match the door panels

The end result was then attached to the rear of the cab with industrial Velcro to enable ease of removal if needed.

I also added a center console out of the aforementioned 1983 King Cab parts-truck at this time and I've now also added custom pedals and also some racing stripes. I ended up removing the rear bumper because it made the rear-end seem "heavy".

Future plans include working out some bugs with the front suspension and brakes. May end up tearing into that this winter.

Otherwise, I hope this has been informative. I advocate for sharing as much information regarding these trucks online so that new owners, such as myself, can learn how to best work on them and improve them. If anyone has questions or needs help with their 720, I have a plethora of pictures of engine teardown, wiring harnesses, and interior assembly. I will continually update this thread as I move forward.

Remember: No matter what you do, do it in a Datsun!

Cheers,
Peter

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

Great work!

Welcome to NICO!!

JW360
Car: 82 datsun 720

Wow i love this thing great work!!! Mine will be at this level some day!

petercscherer
1982 Datsun 720 2WD

Well, I finally finished up my next stage of upgrades, I wound up having it in the shop for 3 weeks, but I'm very satisfied with the results. I installed a set of Stillen 2" Drop Spindles, 1985 Nissan hubs, rotors, & calipers. I also replaced the rear brake shoes, checked-out the entire braking system, replacing hoses and lines as needed to ensure the utmost safety and performance.

After installing the drop spindles, I reset the torsion-bars to factory settings, so I once again have a lot of room to drop it more if I want(which I may do, it seems a tad high at the moment).

I also installed a 1985-era full chrome bumper to replace the damaged rubber-tipped 1982 model.

I also was dissatisfied with the stock exhaust look & sound. It would sound like your typical 80's import four cylinder at idle, with nothing impressive or distinctive to the exhaust note. It also had a boring tailpipe in the rear, that was stock, but it just killed the performance look I've been going for. So, after researching around for a muffler/tip that will give my system a throaty "rumble", I decided on the DC Sports Stainless Steel Muffler. After purchasing it online and having it shipped to me, I was very impressed with the finish and construction quality. After welding it onto my existing piping, I was totally impressed with the sound and look it brought. This is NOT a fart-can, instead it gives it a rumble similar to a stock Corvette or GT-R.

I have been trying to decide on new wheels for my truck as well, I considered various different Nismo and Jap rims, but they all were going to cost between $500-800. Then I was browsing around my neighborhood Advance Auto Parts and noticed some Duplicolor High-Performance Wheel Paint. I had to source the Bronze color online since local stores didn't have any. After wet-sanding my rims and multiple light coats of both the Bronze and Gloss Clear-Coat, I was left with the result that would've cost me about $700 if I'd bought different rims. I spent a total of $31 for a completely different look. I love it!

Overall, I'm satisfied with my recent updates. I have the look I want, and it didn't cost me a fortune. I recently picked up a 1979 Nissan 280zx with rust issues, but a cherry drivetrain and I'm considering swapping the engine and trans into my 720. I know the engine-bay will get cramped, but I think it would be sweet to have a 140HP 6 cylinder with gobs of torque and a close-ratio 5 speed trans. But that's probably going to come this spring.

For now, I think I'll mess around with shocks and maybe get 3" or 4" blocks for the rear and maybe bring the front down some more. I really don't want to start bottoming out on speed bumps though... lol

Cheers,
~Peter

Nick Fool
Car: 1982 Datsun 720

Hi Peter, spectacular job on the restoration, thanks for posting all the pics and comments, very interesting. I just picked up an '82 720 a week or 2 ago and I'm just getting acquainted with it, trying to figure out what's stock and what isn't. Mine has a similar "dual exhaust". I assumed it was an aftermarket mod. The pipes run right thru the spare tire cavity under the bed. When you made that stop to the muffler shop after purchasing your 720, what kind of alterations did you have to make so that you could fit a full size spare in there, as shown in one of your recent pics?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Peter, what an AWESOME little 720! I'll bet the old owner would be pretty stunned to see it - it sure doesn't take a lot of money to bring one back to presentable (or impressive) condition.

We're glad to have you around - I think I'll put up some links to this thread and make your little truck a little bit famous. :)

ShinHed
Car: 1998 S14, 1993 S13 coupe, 1986 720

BuMp :dblthumb:

I like how the bronze really made me look twice at those Chevy wheels. Very nice.

waynosworld

You may be only missing the resistor in the wiring near the coils to get the tach working, the resistor just plugs in like a fuse.
Your truck looks good. :)

petercscherer
1982 Datsun 720 2WD

Update:

Truck has been torn down for my current engine swap, I picked up a 1997 Mazda Miata 1.8L drivetrain to do a basic engine-swap into my truck. You're probably wondering why I'm not going KA, SR, or CA.... Well, let me explain:
1.) A 1.8L Mazda Miata 4 cylinder puts out 135hp stock with potential for much more.
2.) There's a huge aftermarket for the Miata drivetrain, which should make upgrades easier to plan-out.
3.) Miata engines are already rear-sump oil pans, so there's no need to modify it like a KA or SR requires.
4.) The Miata 1.8L is incredibly light and compact.
5.) I've spent the past 3 years driving NA Miatas and I've become accustomed with their mechanicals and aftermarket.
6.) The Miata transmission is one of the best in the industry and has perhaps the smoothest and shortest throw of any Japanese 5-speed.
7.) I'm the kind of guy who wants to be different.

So far, everything physically is set up, I've just finished the plumbing for cooling & fuel, and now I'm moving to the wiring; this should be the most painstaking process and I'm just going to plod through it and finish things up.

It's looking like I'll have about 155bhp and all the necessary upgrades that I wanted (EFI, 5-speed, tuneability, etc...). I'll try to keep this thread updated, but I've been spending more time on different forums and sites as well.

~Peter

petercscherer
1982 Datsun 720 2WD

Nick Fool wrote:Hi Peter, spectacular job on the restoration, thanks for posting all the pics and comments, very interesting. I just picked up an '82 720 a week or 2 ago and I'm just getting acquainted with it, trying to figure out what's stock and what isn't. Mine has a similar "dual exhaust". I assumed it was an aftermarket mod. The pipes run right thru the spare tire cavity under the bed. When you made that stop to the muffler shop after purchasing your 720, what kind of alterations did you have to make so that you could fit a full size spare in there, as shown in one of your recent pics?
The stock spare tire carrier was always on the truck, the dual old exhaust simply ran on either side of it. Now, for the sake of my build, I've actually totally removed the spare tire and run my new exhaust tucked up much higher and running through where the spare used to be. My exhaust is now a 2.5" single pipe back to the front of the bed, and then splits into to dual 2.5" pipes back to the rear. Here's a pic of my current set-up (no idea how it will sound until I start my new engine up).

Sorry for the blurry pic, my phone camera was broken:

Return to “Datsun 720”