1982 720 Diesal Redo

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
flylta
Car: 1982 Datsun 720 Diesal

My father-in-law gave me his 1982 Datsun 720 Diesal. 138,000 original miles, I just put a clutch in it.

The floor boards are rusting through, whats the best fix? Cut out the bad and weld in new metal or ?

What are you feelings about color, stay with originally available or change to what you like?

I have always wanted to redo a vehicle, thought it would be a muscle car but this looks much more affordable and my 7 year old is excited about helping so the truck can be his someday.

ThanksRon

Supererogator
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

Most folks seem to just go for a colour they like. Being that these trucks only have much value in the hearts of those who love them, there is not much cause for sticking to all original unless you are just a geek like that. I happen to be one of those geeks who wants mine in original condition, but as my daily driver, it will take me a while. Being just above poor isn't helping either, nor is the family musical instrument addiction.

As for your floor pans. Most Volkswagon people, and those things have horrible floor pan problems, replace them by cutting out the old and replacing with remanufactured or reclaimed pans. I can confirm this with Mustang people too. Those are the two categories I have dealt with, but going with new metal is always better than trying to build something out of wood or even modern metal and rivets (both of which I have seen and looked hillbilly as hell).

My 11 year old wants me to redo my Mustang, but I think this is a way better option for him.
Modified by Supererogator at 6:09 PM 5/11/2009

flylta

Thanks for the reply, I was talking to a VW buddy of mine and he said the same, much experience welding in new metal because of the batteries under the back seat. He suggested also possibly fiberglassing the floor before new carper goes in, not sure that is needed but I am looking to learn to weld now....

Let the adventure begin.

Johnny's 85

Lets see some pics

flylta

Working on getting pics up to photobucket.

Anyone know where I could pickup a sliding rear window?

Return to “Datsun 720”