1980 720 Extended Cab

General discussion forum about all things Datsun! NOTE: If your thread is specific to a certain model, please make sure you post it in the proper forum.
86 720
Car: 1986 720 4cyl Standard Cab

Found an 80 720 extended cab for sale here in Phoenix. Went and looked at it and it was in decent condition.

I'm wondering about the L20B, from what I gather it's a good engine with some performance capabilities if you swap certain items and install SU carbs. on it.

I did notice that it had a 5 speed manual that shifted very smoothly. Unfortunately the carb was having issues as it was surging here and there and would get stuck for a second if I stomped on the pedal.

How easy is it to do a carb rebuild and where can I get a rebuild kit? My local Autozone doesn't have a kit available online.

Unfortunately I didn't bring it home as he wanted way to much for it, talked him down a little, but still wanted too much.

If I get it It needs a lot of new things: tires, carb rebuild, shocks, etc.. Apparently I've been the only interest in two weeks, so I'm thinking of letting em stew and call again in a week or so.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

My question is why would you want to rebuild the carb if (at least it sounds like) you're planning on swapping the carb anyway? Carb rebuild on these almost never go as planned. IF you plan on getting it... my suggestion would be to swap the carb rather than rebuild.

Steveka24det
Car: 240sx 91

honestly if the guy is selling this truck but doesnt have it even in a running condition then he wants to get rid of it ... give him a week or so call him back tell him you need to get carb serviced or a new one , plus all those other parts you mentioned get prices for everything and say hey man look i need to spend this much just for it to get down the road proper and see how he takes it

And i agree wit PEZi720 get a different carb theirs so many articles on this forum and the general chat Nissan truck forum on here as well about carbs, mainly webers can never go wrong wit those
and please for the love of god there's gotta be a better parts store then autozone in your area

86 720
Car: 1986 720 4cyl Standard Cab

It runs, just needs some TLC. Only big problem is the carb., and it's really not a huge problem.

I've been to ALL the local autoparts stores here, and unfortunately, Autozone is the best out of them all.

Return to “Datsun Chat”