1974 260Z Questions? Newbie here

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
bigcat74

Hi, I am completely new to Datsuns. I ran across an ad for a 1974 Datsun 260Z. The guy is asking $4000. He claims it is a "california car", has no rust, runs and drives. What kind of deal would I be getting if this were true? If I were to go look at it, are there significant problems that are known to be associated with this model? I was looking at it for an affordable father-son project. Again, I am not familiar with Datsuns in the slightest. Thank you for any help at all.

bigcat74

Also, it has 93,000 original miles.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Look at the steering wheel, shift knob and pedal pads then decide if you think it really has 93k original miles. If the miles are that low they should all look nearly new and still have texture, if they are completely smooth it's more likely 193k, not that thats a problem just these cars are known to roll the odometer a few times and people claim miles lower than they are.Also if it's really a 93k mile car it might still have the original carbs which are terrible and most people swap them out after 100k miles or so because they are overly complicated, most people swap for earlier simpler SU's.

Rust rust rust! You need to inspect every inch of this car that's not glass or rubber for rust! hatch lip. inner frame rails, floorboards, frame gussets behind front wheels, sway bar mounts, rocker panels, toe boards, spare tire well, fuel door area, lower rear and forward quarters, they rust just about everywhere and the harder it is to find the more expensive it is to fix.

The 260Z had the least desirable engine, E88 head can't remember the block code but it was the bore of the 2.4 with the stroke of the 2.8. so you get a slower revving less efficient motor than the 240. Being one year only one day the 260 might have some value but so far no one seems to care and the 260z and 280z values have not really take off like the 240z. a "california car" is also far less of a big deal in places like CA, TX, AZ, NM, if you are in the rust belt it matters not because of the prestige but for the lack of rust! If you like in a place where rust isn't an issue it matters not. Also if it's got an automatic it's far less desirable and less valuable, it's actually pretty easy to swap to a manual but it's getting harder to find the needed parts.

S30's as a whole are mechanically sound and aside from the terrible carbs on the 260z it should be pretty reliable and trouble free as long as moderate maintenance is given. The electric's are the other trouble spot, MSA sells replacement fuse boxes that fix many of the problems and converting to an internally regulated alternator also helps. the wipers are slow and terrible no matter what.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”