1970 521

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
koenig65

Hello everyone, I just purchased ($300)a 1970 521 in decent shape, solid. I just could not let the car go to the crusher. I can get it too run but its running rough. Wiring looks awful and I would like to get it running good enough to be my daily driver. Then over time bring it back to as close too original as possible. Where do I start....wires, cap,plugs are a natural but any insight would be apriciated as to getting it running good as my budget is limited... but I am eager and can dedicate a couple of hours every few days to the task of making it a daily driver......fyi the brakes, tranny, clutch exhaust all look good and all running light are working......thanks again.................Billy

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

Billy, download the manual and go through your electrical connections. Then points and condensor, if still rough check the fuel pressure to the carb and adjust the carb. run compression tests and vacuum tests. I had a 620 that I fussed with for a couple of years replacing carb etc. and nothing seemed to work until I did a vacuum test, that told me the story. When I rebuilt the engine there was a piece missing out of a valve the size of my thumb. I had put several thousand miles on the truck before I figured out what was causing the miss. Ken

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”