1969 Datsun 2000 HOOD SCOOP Need advice

Fairlady, Datsun Sports, Roadsters... whatever you want to call them, this is the place to discuss the Datsun SPL311 and SRL311!
joeyg
Car: 1969 Datsun 2000
2008 Infiniti G35

I bought this car recently and just noticed that the hood scoop is 95% blocked off from the inside by sheetmetal on the inside of the hood (which appears to be factory). Did they come that way? If not, the previous owner must have done it before he painted her. Either way.....
1- do you see any harm in opening it up ? I never drive it in the rain (if that even matters).
2- assuming I do open it up, should i use some ducting to run from the opening to the K&N air cleaner sitting atop the Weber 32/36 carb? I wouldn't think that would be necessary since it should feed the air cleaner pretty well once I open up the hood scoop.
3- should I get a larger air cleaner? The one I'm using is small, maybe 8 inches long, by 5" wide by 2" inches deep.
4- I need to search this forum regarding suspension, but while we are talking, any quick advice on upgrading the suspension? I don't want to go real firm or real expensive. Just some simple upgrade that will enhance the driving experience and upgrade the handling. It appears to be completely stock right now.

I"m having a ball working on her. THANK YOU for your time.

joeyg
Car: 1969 Datsun 2000
2008 Infiniti G35

I said the suspension is stock but it does have KYB GR-2 shocks (which I guess are fairly generic stock like equivalents). NOBODY HAS ANY INPUT ON THESE ITEMS?

Andy_In_SD
Car: 1970 - 2000 5spd Roadster, 1966 SPL311-1600 Roadster

The scoop thing is stock. I can't imagine a problem opening it up.

Return to “Datsun Roadster”