19" wheel damage

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
Kendahl
Car: 2008 G37S, Blue Slate, Premium, Navigation

Last weekend, I looked at a 2005 G35 MT6 coupe with 19" wheels. The edges of both front wheels were scuffed. It looked like the tires had rolled under during hard cornering so that the edges of the wheels were scraping the pavement.

I also looked at a loaded 2004 G35 MT6 coupe with only 4,000 miles. The car looks like it is 3 months old, not 3 years. It has 18" wheels that are in perfect condition.

As good as the 2004 car looks, I am strongly tempted to wait for the G37 because of its engineering improvements and additional features. However, the G37 MT6 coupe will come will 19" wheels. If damage to wheels and tires is common with 19" wheels, I would rather forego the G37 and grab the 2004 G35 because of its 18" wheels.

What are people's experiences with 19" inch wheels? Do you have to be extra careful with them to avoid damage?

G35supercharged
Car: 03 Infiniti G35/ 00 BMW 323ci

i havent had any issues at all with my 19's you just want to be careful of the obvious things like curbs and corners and junk like that.. but i havent had any issues at all not even with the 20's

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Most wheels are damaged because most people don't care as much about their cars like us enthusiasts. They hit curbs, run over curbs and everything else in site. You could probably have the 19" wheels repair for 50-100 dollars, around here I could anyways.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I've been quoted $125 per wheel for mine. Previous owner only had the car for 5k miles....scuffed 3 out of 4 wheels!

FamilyZ
Car: 350 gt

Get the 05, this way you won't have to worry about scraping the front wheels. You'll probably end up buying new wheels in the future. Well, as long as you keep coming to this site, you will.

soul_hfk
Car: 2010 G37xS---08 QX56

RED_DET wrote:Most wheels are damaged because most people don't care as much about their cars like us enthusiasts. They hit curbs, run over curbs and everything else in site. You could probably have the 19" wheels repair for 50-100 dollars, around here I could anyways.
or u have an old lady that cant park a car to save her life. its just ezer to ram the curb or has to park up front at a store . park out i tell her BUT NO now i have marks on both sides somethings never change thats why they make alcohol

Hookm36
Car: 2004 G35 coupe

I agree, I purchased my car with both front rims scratched up, but acted as if i didnt see it at first, and didnt mention it either, but then after the negotiating was over and we agreed on a price, I then made a final walk around the car and then made a big deal about the rims, and acted as if I didnt want it anymore......long story short i got an additional 500.00 off the already low price !!!

I already knew I would buy different wheels anyway............but the dealership didnt !

Kendahl
Car: 2008 G37S, Blue Slate, Premium, Navigation

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

If you scrape or bang into curbs, it's your own fault and you deserve ugly wheels or a big bill.

The wheel damage on the 2005 car with 19" wheels was confined to the outside edge, not the side, of each front wheel. The marks extended one third to one half of the way around the circumference. They are consistent with metal to pavement contact over a distance of a couple of feet. They are not what you would expect from bumping into or scraping against a curb. I wonder if the previous owner let tire pressures get so low that the tires couldn't keep the wheels off the pavement. That would explain the distribution of the marks.

What worried me was whether this was a chronic problem with 19" wheels. So far, the replies suggest that damage is due to driver stupidity, not ordinary use.

My criteria for a car are -- fast, good handling, quiet, comfortable, reliable, reasonable to maintain. Of the cars I have tried, the G35 has been the best and the G37 should be better. The other candidates have been new Porsche Cayman and Audi TT, and used Porsche 911 and BMW 325.

The 2004 car is in phenomenal condition. It would be a great deal for someone who wants a new car but can't afford a 2007 G35 or 2008 G37. Since I can, I will wait for a G37.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”