19 Rogue Tire Pressure

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I know that refilling tire air once a month is common, but the tire air in the 19 Rogue is losing air within like 2-3 weeks of me filling it up. And it has like 4500 miles on it and is only driven on weekdays with a roughly 70-mile commute each weekday. Is it just faulty tires from factory or valve stems? Considering that my 2016 never drops to 30 PSI at all (got new tires August 2018). Cold PSI for both Rogues is at 33 PSI, not 30 PSI. And I live in Florida, where it is warm/hot year-round. Even at 50 degrees the 2016 holds tire pressure at 33 PSI cold.

DTASFAB

Could be bad seal between rubber and alloy wheel. Have you done anything to the wheels like powder coating or anything?

The valve stems aren't just plain valve stems. They're part of the TPMS sensors. For older vehicles, there is a kit available to replace the valve stem that's part of the sensor assembly, which does not require replacement of the entire sensor assembly. If you can save the sensor and just replace the stem and extension, it can save some money and save the headache of programming all new sensors to the vehicle. But on a new car with less than 5000 miles, it doesn't seem like this would be your problem. However, it could be that all the sensors and their respective valve stems are bad for some reason.

It could also be that the tires themselves are defective.

You really have to put each tire in a calm bucket of water. Slowly and meticuously determine where the leaks are coming from by looking for tiny air bubbles rising to the surface of the water. Then address the problem based on what you find. Those tires will definitely still be under warranty, but not from Nissan. I hope you have a decent Nissan dealer near you, because it's a lot easier to let their service department fight with the tire manufacturer than doing it yourself.

Are there any other tire related symptoms? Any pulling to one side, vibration, wheels feeling out of balance or out of round? Cupping? Anything weird besides loss of air?

datechboss101

Other than realigning the vehicle from the collision, there is nothing major that I feel in terms of pulling or vibration. I did called the dealer we bought the vehicle from and they told me the tires isn't covered under the warranty (including that limited 1 year / 12k mile warranty). Probably need to take it to the dealer close to home as I do have a great relation with them. No powder coating or modification on wheels was done, basically fully stock.

I definately have to check friday and next week on the tire pressure again, so that I can take it in with evidence that theres an air leak. Warm temps for the tires should be 35 to 36 PSI, from the experience of driving the 2016.

DTASFAB

I'm not sure about the 1 year/12k mile warranty, but those tires are definitely covered by the tire manufacturer. Any dealer that doesn't recognize that is not a dealer I would trust with my vehicle for any type of work. There's really no better way for a dealer to tell you they don't give a s*** about you or your problem.

The more air you put in the tires, the more obvious the leak will become. I would fill them to 40 psi, drive around normally for a few days, and see what happens. When you do the water bucket test, also increase the PSI to 40. Actually, since you won't be driving on them during the test, you can safely fill them to whatever the max PSI is printed on the sidewall of the tire. This will increase the pressure, and at least temporarily, increase the rate at which air escapes through the slow leaks.

I find it very unusual that all four tires are having the same problem. It suggests either defective tires or a piss poor installation job of mounting and balancing at the Nissan factory. You are 100% correct that if the ambient temperature never goes below 50F or above 90F, the fluctuations in PSI should not be more than 3-4 pounds within that temperature range.

I find it extremely annoying having to check my tire pressure more than 3-4 times a year, and I live in the northeast, where temperatures fluctuate over the course of 12 months by nearly 100 degrees F. Maybe I'm spoiled and lazy, but it's also that I'm completely comfortable and I actually like driving with tires that are slightly overinflated. On both my 2013 Rogue and my new 2019 CR-V, I have 17-inch wheels, so increasing pressure simply hardens the tires enough to give me a similar ride to what I'd get with 18-inch or 19-inch wheels. It's true that underinflating will cause excess treadwear on the outer edges and overinflating will cause excess treadwear in the center of the tread pattern, but that's really only a problem if you're putting 125% or more of the recommended PSI in the tires. Adding 7 extra PSI when the recommended amount is 33 PSI is within that 25% extra threshold. And it gives me a huge buffer of how much air I can afford to lose before the TPMS warning light comes on. That's how I can sometimes go four months without checking or adding air. I've never had a problem caused by my lazy overinflation habit. When I picked up the Honda two weeks ago, all the tires were filled by the dealer to 40 psi. And that vehicle calls for 33 psi in the front, but only 30 psi in the back. I don't care. I like extra air. :chuckle:

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

If any or all tires are losing air ever 2-3 weeks, their basically flat.

..... or defective.

...... or an incompetent installer.

I’m going with defective.

Probability of all going flat at same time- zero.
Probability of installer doing all 4 tires wrong- zero.

Bad balance or vibration, maybe.

But not losing air on all 4.

So something broke or defective in the tire setup.

I actually drive at 40psi lately.

But because of cold weather, they now settled at 38psi.

Personal preference that’s all.

Well ever since I did a chalk test for the hell of it, even though it don’t apply.

37 rear 40 front gave me my best readings.
It did make my tpms sensors light up soon after and I let a few pounds out.

But recently went straight 40psi with no problems at all.
Last edited by casperfun on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

datechboss101

The tire inflator I carry max out at 40 PSI, which I believe is from its programming. Is there another way I can test the tires for air leaks other than taking them off (I don't own a jack and jack stand atm)? I always request the dealer to overinflate by at least +2 PSI in the tires for the 16 Rogue and 17 MDX every time I take both in for service (apparently dealers are cheaper than indie mechs in my area). If the local dealer won't warranty this issue with proof and evidence in form of pictures with date and time stamp, then its another arm and leg phone call with NissanUSA and a call with Firestone to fix the air leak on all 4 tires.

casperfun

datechboss101 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:15 am
The tire inflator I carry max out at 40 PSI, which I believe is from its programming. Is there another way I can test the tires for air leaks other than taking them off (I don't own a jack and jack stand atm)? I always request the dealer to overinflate by at least +2 PSI in the tires for the 16 Rogue and 17 MDX every time I take both in for service (apparently dealers are cheaper than indie mechs in my area). If the local dealer won't warranty this issue with proof and evidence in form of pictures with date and time stamp, then its another arm and leg phone call with NissanUSA and a call with Firestone to fix the air leak on all 4 tires.
Usually:

Mix liquid soap with water in a spray bottle and spray all parts of the tire — tread, sidewalls, the valve stem and opening (with the cap removed), and along the rim on both sides — with the soapy water until you find a spot where bubbles start to form. That's where the air is leaking.

BUT your leak is so slow, it probably won’t help. :gotme

datechboss101

Just got confirmation from the parentals that the tire pressure went back down to 30 PSI again. Looks like there is a definite air leak somewhere on all four tires. Keep in mind, I filled these dang tires on Sunday morning before I left town.

casperfun

If it never goes below 30 in Florida, maybe don’t stress it.

After driving for awhile, it should hit the recommended 32-33 psi anyways.

If it goes to 23-25psi, then worry. :poke:

datechboss101

What I don't understand door jam says cold tire pressure should be at 33 PSI, not while driving. Plus I got a huge OCD thing when it comes to vehicles and just the thing with tire pressures being at 30 PSI cold bothers me alot.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

As was mentioned earlier, the warranty for the tires would fall under tire manufacturer, not Nissan. Most OEM tires are pretty lousy, but not as bad as the symptoms you are describing. Call a couple Tire shops that are authorized Firestone dealers. Any tire shop can check for leaks or punctures. But for defects an authorized dealer for that brand will have the best luck at possibly getting any resolution from corporate.

If no leaks or punctures are found and they still have good tread life, see what the tire shop will give you on a trade-in towards a new set. Main benefit of going that route is from that point forward you would have new tires purchased and installed from the tire shop, and any additional problems would be 100% on their dime to correct. The couple hundred bucks you may lose in the trade may be worth the time saved of no longer having to hassle with them.

DTASFAB

casperfun wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 am
Probability of all going flat at same time- zero.
I agree fully.
casperfun wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 am
Probability of installer doing all 4 tires wrong- zero.
Not so sure. There are some drunk employees in certain places. And sober employees who don't give a crap. Or angry people whose ex-wives haven't let them see their kids in years. You never know.

DTASFAB

datechboss101 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 am
I got a huge OCD thing when it comes to vehicles and just the thing with tire pressures being at 30 PSI cold bothers me alot.
Welcome to the club! :ohno: :squint: :eek: :spitout:

In over six years, I never drove less than 300 miles on a tank of gas in the Rogue. I also never filled it with less than 13 gallons at a time.

I bought a freakin Honda and the tank is only 14 gallons, but the fuel pump is situated in the tank and can't be allowed to run dry or it will overheat and burn itself out. So the most I can fill at one time is 12, maybe 13 gallons max. This would be fine if I had the 1.5 turbo engine that gets about 30mpg, but I didn't want the turbo. I got the bigger traditional engine that only gets about 25mpg. Do the math. This Honda is going to drive my OCD crazy even worse than the Rogue CVT!!!!! :gotme

datechboss101

So I finally got a Nissan dealer that said to bring it in and they will do the soap water test and few other tests as mentioned earlier in the thread for free, said the service manager himself due to the low mileage. The dealer near home has phone issues, where it sends me to every other department except the service department. So hopefully this should clear my concerns of the tire pressure issue. I still got a plate full of factory faults with this vehicle.

datechboss101

DTASFAB wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:54 pm
datechboss101 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 am
I got a huge OCD thing when it comes to vehicles and just the thing with tire pressures being at 30 PSI cold bothers me alot.
Welcome to the club! :ohno: :squint: :eek: :spitout:

In over six years, I never drove less than 300 miles on a tank of gas in the Rogue. I also never filled it with less than 13 gallons at a time.

I bought a freakin Honda and the tank is only 14 gallons, but the fuel pump is situated in the tank and can't be allowed to run dry or it will overheat and burn itself out. So the most I can fill at one time is 12, maybe 13 gallons max. This would be fine if I had the 1.5 turbo engine that gets about 30mpg, but I didn't want the turbo. I got the bigger traditional engine that only gets about 25mpg. Do the math. This Honda is going to drive my OCD crazy even worse than the Rogue CVT!!!!! :gotme
I run my 2016 dry most of the time, as i know its limits and I push its boundries, but I never pushed a Honda, maybe its due to sentimental values I have with the brand. But I did found out that the near leather material attracts a ton of dirt and grime.

casperfun

I use to play that game, trying to get every last mile out of the gas tank, until I read it somewhere that this could ruin your fuel system.

So I stopped.

Little did I know, I had like TWO orange fuel bars left one time and the damn rogue would not start.

I then find out my tank was empty. :facepalm:

Dumb crappy inaccurate fuel gauge.

So the thing I was trying to avoid; happens to me anyway, and my personal ocd kicks in with all these thoughts of maybe ruining my fuel system.

Thank god all is well.

I think that was the only time in my life I ran out of gas, which was fortunately in my garage! :wavey:

I also never refill after the pump stops, trying to get every last drop of gas into the tank, as this is bad too.

datechboss101

casperfun wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:14 pm
I use to play that game, trying to get every last mile out of the gas tank, until I read it somewhere that this could ruin your fuel system.

So I stopped.

Little did I know, I had like TWO orange fuel bars left one time and the damn rogue would not start.

I then find out my tank was empty. :facepalm:

Dumb crappy inaccurate fuel gauge.

So the thing I was trying to avoid; happens to me anyway, and my personal ocd kicks in with all these thoughts of maybe ruining my fuel system.

Thank god all is well.

I think that was the only time in my life I ran out of gas, which was fortunately in my garage! :wavey:

I also never refill after the pump stops, trying to get every last drop of gas into the tank, as this is bad too.
It actually almost happened to me once. That needle was near the 0 mark on the cluster and I was asking all my friends for a jerry can so I can leave my Rogue in a parking lot and have a buddy drive me to another gas station to fill up a few gals, but no one even knew what a Jerrycan was. I was glad to know I had 0.1 gals remaining when I filled up (the station close to uni didn't accept cards that day for some reason).

binco
Car: 2019 Rogue SV

You're losing pressure from all 4 tires roughly equally? Enough loss from all 4 tires that you have to add air monthly or sooner? Yikes, something is WAY wrong. Honestly, adding air once a YEAR is a more common experience.

Are you really sure it's not pranksters playing games, letting air out when you're parked overnight? Four defective tires/valves/stems/wheels seems vanishingly unlikely.

casperfun

I have a more demented view about society. You don’t just stop on pranksters.

Ever since the internet, you can really read about how evil this world really is just by reading the news.

I mean come on, how about the lady who was killed by her best friend she knew since she was eleven from a Christian camp to steal her baby. If you can’t trust a child hood friend, we in deep $hit as a society. It’s bad enough worrying about your kid getting stolen and killed in Walmart. Or being a young woman killed by going to a gas food mart. On top of a prison system where un-rehabilitated evil is let out.

Hence, you’re in college. Is there a girl/classmate you vying for attention? Perhaps jealous competition.

A pissed off classmate. Bully/victim situation.

Teacher/student Relationship. Jealous husband or classmate. But I do think tires would be too easy, and something worse would of happened.

Did you take up 2 car spaces once? Now you got a stalker with a grudge. Did you park too close to somebody’s car?

Perhaps a poor student who can’t afford a car. A jealous student everyday at a bus stop.

or Road rage victim who you cut off at school? In their mind.

So if you look at pranks, you also need to look at all the other angles from a sick social psychological view because airing somebody’s tires out is a psycho pathological thing to do to someone if you think about it.

To actually waste your freaking time to bleed somebody’s tire every 2 weeks is a crazy thing to do.

Because as a person is doing that with there demented mind, this prankster would know it’s intentional as hell because by the time their on the third tire, it’s a freaking message that they are AFTER YOU to actually do ALL four tires.

Why not stop at one. because they will GET you!

I like to tell a story. Even a normal person could do crazy things. Because I am an example. I turned into a bad person for a second. So maybe I am part of this non perfect society.

I was turning left at a light and after the light turned green, a micro second later a white truck WHO was behind me roared around me and cut me off from turning left and entered the gas station/food mart at that very corner.

I was “LIKE WTF” mode. I really felt like following that guy and blocking him in to call the police but I couldn’t because I had my kids with me.

Knowing we live in a road rage society and the chance he use his crappy truck to ram my vehicle I didn’t follow him.

I also wanted to call the police station near by, but knew he probably be gone by the time they came.

I remember this white truck so clearly behind me because of the amber construction lights on their truck roof.

The only reason this incident really pissed me off is that they knew I had kids in the car because they could see the dvd headrests playing a kid show in the back since it was dark already.

I don’t care if this driver had a bad day, but driving around me and cutting me off and almost making me hit them was dangerous.

So I actually went out to look for this vehicle the next night. And lo and behold, I saw this same truck at some automotive repair center near this same light. it was being left there overnight. :chuckle:

After finding the culprit’s truck, I tried finding somebody to slash their tire with a crappy dinner knife I had. I got a refusal from a young guy walking. But I found 2 young men sitting in a car to do it for $100.

But I was not done, I came back to slash another tire and to hammer the windows. But I couldn’t break the windshield or windows because it was actually too hard to do. Damn reinforced safety glass.

So I ended up smashing the side mirrors too.

Am I a sick person? I don’t want to think so. I felt more like a vigilante. Hoping to prevent this douchebag from driving this way and doing this to another person or that’s how I felt in my mind.

It made me feel better. I HAD to know that this scumbag NEEDS to realize that if you drive stupid reckless with your fellow man, that you will eventually piss somebody and there will be consequences.

Come on, you been there where somebody honks you after the light turns green after 1 nano-second. You get slightly upset for a second then forget about it and move on.

Instead of a honk, I get fast and furious a$$hole behind me cutting me off to turn left before I can press the the gas.
Plus to make this move, you still need to make sure nobody on the right side going straight is there.

That’s some ”took me by surprise stuff” you don’t expect and dangerous because I almost hit them. :wtf2:

Ever since that incident, I bought a dash cam.

So evil is out there, and maybe I became part of it for 2 days at least.

Even good people can turn in the heat of the moment.

So pranksters or worse could happen.

Call me wrong, and two wrongs don’t make it right, blah, blah blah.

BUT there is evil people who need payback. If evil out there is willing to endanger your life, you better believe that 4000 pound bullet you’re using to run me off the street will get damaged if I get my hands on it. Because they NEED to get inconvenienced for doing so! :nutkick

And if you think I’m wrong, you’re most likely the type who drives like the way this idiot dude does. :werd:

datechboss101

binco wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:18 pm
You're losing pressure from all 4 tires roughly equally? Enough loss from all 4 tires that you have to add air monthly or sooner? Yikes, something is WAY wrong. Honestly, adding air once a YEAR is a more common experience.

Are you really sure it's not pranksters playing games, letting air out when you're parked overnight? Four defective tires/valves/stems/wheels seems vanishingly unlikely.
Sorry for late reply, but its happening soooo common, dealer said there was no leak of any sort, yet the POS still leaks air. If I do have enemies, they might know that I drive a BLUE Rogue, not a SILVER Rogue. The Silver one belongs to my mom. So any prankster or enemy would have do damage on the Blue one, which is mine, and which I will notice ASAP and get it fixed literally that same moment or day and also file a report with the OCSD.

johnnybeerotten
Car: 2015 Rogue SL

Take it to a good tire shop and have them tank all the wheels. I'll bet its a rim leak from either poor bead sealing or corrosion or something. When our '15 was brand new, I swapped out the OEM tires for Nokian WRG-3s. I was consistently putting air in every month. Recently I had those tires replaced with WRG-4s and other than having to adjust them for the temperature drop once the cold weather came, they are holding air fine.

Dahigufa
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV

Just took my ‘19 Rogue into Nissan for oil an change, and a once over inspection. Used, but new to me Rogue. Everything done, they filled the tires to 36 vs 33 on the door. Any reason you can think that Nissan service tech did that instead of what’s listed on the door?

casperfun

A few pounds over is no biggie.

Perhaps he did to compensate for the colder winter outdoor air. :cool:

binco
Car: 2019 Rogue SV

Dahigufa wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:38 pm
Just took my ‘19 Rogue into Nissan for oil an change, and a once over inspection. Used, but new to me Rogue. Everything done, they filled the tires to 36 vs 33 on the door. Any reason you can think that Nissan service tech did that instead of what’s listed on the door?
Oh, yeah. When I was new to TPMS I had a warning on a cold day, went to the dealership and they cranked the pressures up over the recommended pressure just like they did for you.

There's no warning for moderately high psi, only for low pressure AFAIK. Tire pressure drops about 1 psi for each 10 ten degrees temperature drop. I guess they don't want you coming back with a TPMS warning complaint on a cold day.

Dahigufa

I guess that makes sense. Was just weird. Driving around today (was unseasonably warm for Ohio today), they were registering about 39psi while driving around. Rides a bit rougher. We’ll see. Thanks for the comment. ** this is the first car I’ve owned with TPMS**

datechboss101

New issue on this POS Rogue that we have (same 2019 Rogue), its just the rear right tire shows less air pressure than the rest. My daily reads 35 (cold PSI) for the rears during colder temps, since I decided that its great to put 40 PSI in all tires.
Dahigufa wrote:
They do that because if filled up to 33 psi, it will surely drop to 31 or 30, or in some rare instances, in the mid to high 20s. And since those tires are hot, not cold, 35 or 36 PSI is perfect for it. If it wasn't driven, thus tires being super duper cold, then 33 PSI is ideal.

Dahigufa

Currently with them filling to 36, they run 39 when warmed up. Rides a bit tougher, really liked it at the lower pressure. I had filled them to 33 on cold day. They were running warm at about 35.

zukabaker
Car: 2019 Rogue SV AWD

datechboss101 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:54 pm
New issue on this POS Rogue that we have (same 2019 Rogue), its just the rear right tire shows less air pressure than the rest. My daily reads 35 (cold PSI) for the rears during colder temps, since I decided that its great to put 40 PSI in all tires.
Dahigufa wrote:
They do that because if filled up to 33 psi, it will surely drop to 31 or 30, or in some rare instances, in the mid to high 20s. And since those tires are hot, not cold, 35 or 36 PSI is perfect for it. If it wasn't driven, thus tires being super duper cold, then 33 PSI is ideal.
I also have a low tire pressure issue on the right rear tire but I am sure that I have something in the tire and I am planning on going to my tire shop to take a look. As far as the other tires they seem to hold pressure perfectly.
If 1 tire is reading bad than either the rim got damaged or you have something in the tire.
Are all 4 tires doing the same thing?
This thread got a little confusing to read! LOL

Dahigufa

Yeah, I was not an issue with a single or more tires being low. Just that when I took it in for service they filled everything up to 36 where I was going by the door and says 33. I just thought it was odd that service, Nissan service was the one that Filled to 36. I’ll check with them, I’m just curious

datechboss101

zukabaker wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:39 am
datechboss101 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:54 pm

I also have a low tire pressure issue on the right rear tire but I am sure that I have something in the tire and I am planning on going to my tire shop to take a look. As far as the other tires they seem to hold pressure perfectly.
If 1 tire is reading bad than either the rim got damaged or you have something in the tire.
Are all 4 tires doing the same thing?
This thread got a little confusing to read! LOL
Not all 4 tires are doing the same thing. I had the dealer fill to 36 at last service but somehow its mostly that one tire that is showing a lower reading on the TPMS than the recommended cold 33 PSI. However, I rarely drive the dang thing since its plagued with issues and reliability problems in my eyes. I might end up finding my analog tire pressure gauge (probably somewhere in the house) and double-check the pressures. And I am going to overfill it to see if it is really a leak by putting it at 40 PSI. If it is a leak, then I have to check where its coming from, either the tire or the wheel. If its the wheel, I am hoping Nissan warranties this. If its the tire, I got a nearly new tire from the now destroyed 2016 Rogue laying around in the garage.

Return to “Rogue Forum”