180sx crank no start

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
pintobean24
Car: 1994 Nissan 180SX

First post here but looking for some help I recently put cams and a t28 turbo on my sr20det blacktop and the car will start but only if my foot is in the throttle and it’s rpm doesn’t increase with throttle input I pulled the spark plugs out and three have black on the tips one is clean I have checked all of the grounds and checked for spark any input would be greatly appreciated.

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

I'm guessing you've got one or more issues to do with your cam and ignition timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd8lnpgDp8Y <-There's a video on how to set the base ignition timing. I'd start there, you may need to adjust your CAS just to get to the point you can keep it running and dial it in from there.

Do you have a wideband? What are your AFRs looking like? You're going to need to have the ECU tuned in some way to compensate for those new cams and turbo as well.

It's entirely possible you got one or both of the cams misaligned during the install. I'd start with ignition timing and see if you can keep it running from there but, if the car worked fine, you changed something, and now it does not, chances are the problem lies in what you changed.

pintobean24
Car: 1994 Nissan 180SX

Ok so I got the car to run it was ignition timing but now it blows white smoke out of the exhaust the head gasket is brand new what could it be

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

could be a lot of stuff. White smoke that smells sweet is usually coolant while blueish smoke tends to be oil. How much smoke are you talking about here, exactly? like billowing clouds or just visible haze? Do you have a catalytic converter on the car?

In the first post you just said you installed cams and a turbo. Now you're saying the head gasket is new. What all exactly have you done to the engine?

Return to “240sx General Discussion”