17x7.5 +40 hitting brakes

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
709Z32
Car: '94 JDM Z32 Twin Turbo T-Bar 2by2, B&B catback, HKS coilovers, reupholstered synth leather, annnd horrible looking 19's until i get a set of 18's

Hey guys. Feel free to delete cause I know everyone hates reading these, but I've been searching all yesterday and last night and I'm only getting conflicting info on this. It's for a 300zx btw.

I bought a set of 17 inch wheels, 7.5 +40 front, a little wider in the rear. I read on one site "garunteed fitment" so I ordered through a place I get a discount from.

Anyways, went to test fit, rear is fine but the front is wildly off. Hits right off the caliper. I'm trying to figure out what the proper offset would be to clear the caliper. The most convincing article I've read states a 35 offset, but this seems way farther off then 5mm, I'm also not the best at math.

I've also seen on other wheels that "garuntee fit" that 17x7.5 +35 will fit the front. Anyways, any solid answers will be greatly appreciated.

MicVelo
Car: Mic's: Z33, S30, SRL-311, SL55, Highlander-H / Gone: Z33 & Z34 Nismos, Z33-Rdstr, Z31 Shiro (R.I.P.), Z32, Q45, 5-S30s, D-Prod SRL311 and a bunch of other non-Nissans.

First thing you need to include/clarify: WHICH 300ZX, Z31 or Z32? This is important because while they share/interchange a number of wheels, offset requirements are different. I'll say this though, +40mm is far too much offset for Z31 but should work on Z32 based on OEM wheel offsets.

Secondly, what part of the wheel is interfering with the caliper? Is it the barrel, spoke backs or ???

Without this information hard to give you a good answer.

GENERALLY speaking (and this is VERY generic because so much depends on what specific car you have, what the original equipment was/is, etc.) but for basic purposes, you can almost do no wrong with a wheel with an offset in the high-20s to low-30s. (I've run the gamut on both generations as well as on my Z33s and rear of Z34.)

But post up your specifics for a more informative answer.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”