17x10" Wheels....

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Redline240
Car: 95 240sx

i read in another post on this site that i can fit 10" wide rims on my S14 without spacers.....but i don't know the offset or any companies for that matter that make a wheel that size, also what is the bolt pattern on a 5 lug S14?

fenrisx
Car: Buying a 93 240sx HB or a 98 240SX

As far as I know 10" wide in the front won't fit. I was asking EnjukuRacing about it and they said around 7.5" max w/o spacers. They also gave me a tire size that would be best with it too, but I don't remember it right off hand.

---Sorry, that info may not be relevant. I was asking them that question dealing with a S13.

Redline240

yeah i meant 10" wide in the rear, and probaly 8" in the front which i'm told will fit......

Snarlynx

Holy understeering 240sx Batman!! :eek:

A two inch staggering isn't good unless you want it for drag racing or looks and don't care about steering. I'm sure you could get around it for the most part with a great suspension set up but still...

Lepchitz1
Car: Cars, and LESBIANS!!!

Snarlynx wrote: Holy understeering 240sx Batman!! :eek:

A two inch staggering isn't good unless you want it for drag racing or looks and don't care about steering. I'm sure you could get around it for the most part with a great suspension set up but still...

agreed

Redline240

What about 9" wide on back and 8" in the front? would that be driveable?

Redline240

Lost_To_A_K-Car wrote:How about six or seven inches wide all around? Little Japanese engineers in white coats designed to car to use that size, you should probably listen to them.

What are you planning on doing with the car?

well i'm planning on doing a lot, but unlike most i won't go into detail since i havn't done it yet......but lets assume i'll be running high boost and traction would probaly be a big issue.....i won't do much racing except maybe a little Auto X on the weekends, but mostly drag racing and somewhat of a daily driver although i've got another car....

i figured that a wider tire would add to my traction, and using a 275 tire wouldn't hurt my ego either.....lol...

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

You could run a 2" difference without any handling 'issues'. I wouldn't do it though...unless you find it to be necessary.

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

you could run 10 inchers on all four with zero or positive offset and big fender flares, thats what time attack cars do...

Onizuka

actually you probably wouldnt even need positve offset

Lepchitz1
Car: Cars, and LESBIANS!!!

that is one random sig you got Lost_to_A_K-Car

LarryStooge

id go with 8 all around on my S14 if I planned on keeping it. Expand out, don't tuck in, if it means getting fender flares, then get fender flares. I personally don't think that it will cause understeer, it hasn't on the many supras that I've seen with them, and experienced first hand. It is possible, but unless someone has it, they can't knock it. I also wouldn't go by what Nissan engineers put on our cars, my car has 195s, that's not my idea of autocross/road racing material, not for a RWD car.

LarryStooge

hmm, this just in, tucking in is ok. The JUN hyper lemon Silvia S15 uses 17X9.5 ALL AROUND. It doesn't have a widebody, so it HAS to be tucking them towards the inside. For those that say larger wheels don't help, tell that to JUN and their record holding S15.

Onizuka

S15 silvias have different dimentions from s13 and s14 so just because they do it on a s15 doesnt mean it will work on the latter. plus how do you know they didnt use fender flares?

also, super negative camber is only good if you feel like buying new tires every month....

LarryStooge

J-Spec Tuner wrote:S15 silvias have different dimentions from s13 and s14 so just because they do it on a s15 doesnt mean it will work on the latter. plus how do you know they didnt use fender flares?

also, super negative camber is only good if you feel like buying new tires every month....

it still keeps the general concept. I can tell they dont use fender flares because I've seen a hundred pics of the damn car, and fender flares are pretty recognizeable, thats a pretty stupid question. I don't remember bringing camber into this either.

sixxdeuce
Car: 93 rx7, G35coupe 6mt

ok, you guys seem to know alot about wheel and tire sizes, maybe you can help me decide on something. I have an s14 with 17x7 rims on it now, they have 205/40's mounted right now. I hate these tires they are way to narrow, if you stand directly behind the car you can see the lip of the rim sticking out past the tire. I would really like to have rubber wider than my rims. The setup I originally wanted was 215/40's in front and 245/40's in rear but i can get a really good deal on some khumo exta supra 235/40's ($90 apiece) so i think I will get those for the rear. Do you think that will work ok, or will the 2 to 3 sizes wider in back cause steering problems? Thanks for your help

Snarlynx

"S15 silvias have different dimentions from s13 and s14 so just because they do it on a s15 doesnt mean it will work on the latter."

It would be the former. Although, there being two others, I'm not sure you could even use that.

anywho as for the "trusting" the nissan engineers... I would but they take cost and comfort and ease of use (like being able to rotate the tires)

I prefer to trust tuning engineers. They only take performance into concern so I think that's who I'll be emulating with my project. :)

Onizuka

ummm, tucking IS super negative camber. :bash

Onizuka

StephNic wrote: I can tell they dont use fender flares because I've seen a hundred pics of the damn car, and fender flares are pretty recognizeable, thats a pretty stupid question.

I have seen plenty of fender flares that are built into stock replacment front quarter panels that you cant even tell they are flared. So no it is NOT a stupid question because i have never seen the car.

LarryStooge

J-Spec Tuner wrote:ummm, tucking IS super negative camber. :bash
let me know where you learned that genius machine.

Onizuka

Camber has to do with the VERTICAL ANGLE the wheels are at.Tucking is moving the top of the wheel in and the bottom out ( VERTICAL ANGLE) so it doesnt come in contact with the fender lip.........to put in to terms you might understand. If that doesnt make sense to you then you are a crack head.......

LarryStooge

J-Spec Tuner wrote:Camber has to do with the VERTICAL ANGLE the wheels are at.Tucking is moving the top of the wheel in and the bottom out ( VERTICAL ANGLE) so it doesnt come in contact with the fender lip.........to put in to terms you might understand. If that doesnt make sense to you then you are a crack head.......

ok ****lips, let me put something into terms for you. Tucking isnt a technical term, therefor people might have different meanings by it. When I refer to tucking, I'm referring to what the dictionary means by it. I'm talking about tucking the wheels farther in regarding to the offset, instead of widening the wheels and having the additional width sticking out like mexican wheels, I'd tuck them in. Sorry if my normal terms don't compare correctly with your auto terms. I hope that clears it up and shows why I didn't understand what you meant originally.

Onizuka

good enough for me

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

StephNic wrote:ok ****lips, let me put something into terms for you. Tucking isnt a technical term, therefor people might have different meanings by it. When I refer to tucking, I'm referring to what the dictionary means by it. I'm talking about tucking the wheels farther in regarding to the offset, instead of widening the wheels and having the additional width sticking out like mexican wheels, I'd tuck them in. Sorry if my normal terms don't compare correctly with your auto terms. I hope that clears it up and shows why I didn't understand what you meant originally.

Yet I use the term in the sense that the wheel is just tucked up into the wheel well, regardless of camber or offset. Even for say a car with a solid rear axle. So it sounds like the original poster should clarify their definition so we can discuss the topic instead of semantics.

Redline240

Lost_To_A_K-Car wrote:Either way, it's not worth arguing about. Go abuse Tino or something.

Am i missing something? i'm farly new to the board, and this is probaly the 3rd or 4th time some has mentioned Tino is some negitive way, any particular reason or is he just an idot? now that i think of it his posts are pretty useless......just wondering if i can be filled in, i may not be the only one clueless on the matter....

LarryStooge

Redline240 wrote:Am i missing something? i'm farly new to the board, and this is probaly the 3rd or 4th time some has mentioned Tino is some negitive way, any particular reason or is he just an idot? now that i think of it his posts are pretty useless......just wondering if i can be filled in, i may not be the only one clueless on the matter....

from what ive gotten, tino is friends with alot of the members, he keeps **** short and simple. alot of people just **** with him, it isnt **** talking, its just ****ing around from friend to friend.

red240ne
Car: mmm...donuts

StephNic wrote:from what ive gotten, tino is friends with alot of the members, he keeps **** short and simple. alot of people just **** with him, it isnt **** talking, its just ****ing around from friend to friend.

no, tino's just extremely dumb. he doesn't personally know anyone on the board i don't think. he just wandered on here like me. in fact, the same day as me. i think he refrains from saying more than 2 lines in a reply, because he's afraid he will sound dumb. no offense to tino though;)

LarryStooge

red240ne wrote:no, tino's just extremely dumb. he doesn't personally know anyone on the board i don't think. he just wandered on here like me. in fact, the same day as me. i think he refrains from saying more than 2 lines in a reply, because he's afraid he will sound dumb. no offense to tino though;)

heres an example of whats said about him, lol.

Nils
Car: road racing

I road race my 240 *VERY* frequently, I have 17x10's in the rear and 17x8's infront.... you cant tell me that my car handles bad, matter of fact the car is on rails. No problems with understeer. I dont think I have ever heard a road racer say "I need narrower wheels and tires".....

In road racing having wider tires means more tire patch contact which would be a good thing since being fast in the corners outweighs the importance of being fast in a straight line (unless you are drag racing =).

Larger tire patch contact = Grip

Volk makes several rims that would fit the s14-240, granted I had to get H&R spacers (15mm front - 5mm rear), Tein coil overs and had to do some minor cutting to make the rims fit... but it was all worth it. Being able to take a long turn at 100mph instead of 90mph is a serious advantage at the track, specially if that turn sweeps into a long straight-away.

take care,nils

Snarlynx

Yeah... He's the one with a 2 inch staggering I was talking about. But just out of curiosity.... what's your suspension set up nils? .....Besides the coil overs because it seems that you set it up pretty well.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”