17s or 18s

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Mike EX

Hello:

I'm going to purchase an EX, which, due to the color I like, requires the Luxe package. Just curious as to whether there is a difference in the ride between the 17 or 18 inch tires. I like the ride on the 17s -- very car-like, which I prefer over truckiness.

Thanks for your help.

Barry Zack

Mike,

I drove cars with both 17s and 18s and did not feel a difference in ride. I bought 18s because of looks. The 18s just look better on the car. The 17s look toyish.

Zack

ericb214
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I bought mine with the 17's and planned on putting on aftermaket rims. I ended up with nice chrome 20's. They fit the wheel well perfectly! I was concerned with the possible change in ride quality but went with high end tires to compensate. Long story short, after the initial break in period for the tires the car rides just as well if not better.

In my oppinion, this car was made for larger rims. (like the FX)

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

I could not tell the difference when looking at the 17 and the 18 wheels. When I was car shopping I had to count the spokes on the wheel to figure out the size. As far as ride difference my last two cars had 18's so I am used to the ride. The 17's will save you a few bucks when new tires are needed. I got the Lux package mainly for the Xenon lights. If I had to pay extra for 18's, I would not get them. By the way, if you go with the 18's factory wheels, don't scuff or curb them. My dealer told me that one rim cost $768 to replace.

Mike EX

Hopefully, the all around camera feature will prevent those rim scuffs!

EX55

I never noticed a difference in the two cars I test drove, but I did favor the 18" wheels in appearance. That was the main reason for getting the Luxe package. Xenon lights were a bonus!

I did find it extraordinary that Infiniti tires came equipped with Nitrogen gas, and not air. I read some older posts about the TMS system activating unnecessarily so I thought that's why Infiniti made the switch. Maybe not.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”