1600 won't start

Fairlady, Datsun Sports, Roadsters... whatever you want to call them, this is the place to discuss the Datsun SPL311 and SRL311!
koenigz
Car: 1967 Datsun 1600 roadster

Recently purchased 1967 Datsun 1600 roadster. Drove her around for a few days, then mistakenly ran out of gas - now she won't start. Seller tells me tank was recently completely cleaned/renovated. I replaced fuel filter, replaced float bowl needle valves, soaked float bowls in carb cleaner and drained/blew out, checked fuel filling with electric fuel pump on. Still won't start. Checked plugs and ignition - replaced carbon coated plugs- getting good spark, but still won't start. BTW, I disconnected and reconnected tacky cable from dizzy while it was out of gas - could that have screwed up timing/vacuum advance? Help!!

punkzdriver

Id like to try and help you as I have had a finicky Roadster that has had many troubles at different times starting. But I am unsure of what is actually going on when it is not starting.

You said it wouldnt start after running dry. My first guess would be is that something got stuck in a line along the way. People have sent compressed air from the front lines back to the tank to clear them, but that doesnt sound like it is your issue if you indeed see fuel filling the filter.

That would be my next guess is that you have a clogged filter. You said you changed one, but double-check that there isnt a second. I run 2 filters, one before, and one after my manual pump. Did that after having to replace the pump.

If you have fuel, then check for spark, which it sounds like you have done. I have had multiple electrical issues from keeping my car starting and running. I have the El Dizzy set up. There is a small plug that connects to the distributor that has found a way on more than one time to work itself off. I also had to change my fuse box due to extreme corrosion. Also look at the wiring from your ignition switch. This was another gremlin that had to be chased away, as the switch was replaced, not wired correctly, and became finnicky afterwards. My final non-start issue was because my starter was locked up.

So without knowing more about what isnt working when you cannot get it to start, I would check those connections at the dizzy one more time.

koenigz

Thanks
Did check the EI output with 12 V test light and was OK. Then pulled a plug and turned out lights and saw nice spark.
Good fuel flow AFTER the filter and filling the float bowls.

I am wondering if I could have screwed up timing somehow. While I was out of gas I also fiddled with the tach wire (had not been working well) and disconnected from the base of the distributor, then reconnected. - any chance that could have disrupted the distributor timing? (dizzy IS turning).

koenigz

Checked the timing. Pertronix distributor rotor definitely off. Pointing halfway between 1 and 4 at TDC timing mark when #1 cylinder is compressing. Distributor rotor wiggles around over about 30 degrees at rest. How do I adjust the timing? Tried loosing screws on top and wiggling the rotor base and moved the rotor approx 70-80 degrees but can't get it where it needs to be right on #1. Tried to crank and got a good backfire but no start.

DBrick
Car: 1966 2000
1964 1500

Sounds like the advance weight spring broke. If it won't spring back when you turn the rotor, it's done. Cardone has a rebuild and return service, you would need to put the points back in, then when it comes back reconvert it to Pertronix, but I'd say it's better to just get a complete Electronic distributor, time it once and never touch it again.
Eastcoastroadster.com and a few others sell them.

koenigz

Thanks DBrick! Makes lots of sense

koenigz

Out of commission for a while working on other things. Now my 1600 has new EastCoastRoadsters dizzy, and rebuilt carb, BUT only starts with starter fluid (runs well afterwards). Could it be that I just need to adjust timing? (never done after I installed new EI dizzy)?

Return to “Datsun Roadster”