16 Speaker Sound Quality (Bose Studio)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

When I first got the car, the sound quality was very under-whelming. FM, well is not that good, XM is highly compressed, Bluetooth is not a quality source, I don't own CD's and USB was so-so.

I have found the best sound from connecting my phone to the USB and using Spotify as my streaming app. If you just do this, you will still have mediocre sound. Going into the setting of Spotify and upping the sound quality, adjusting the equalizer, and setting the volume quality in the app really wakes it up. Now it rocks. Everyone gets in the car and goes holy $hit. With the 16 speakers, you really do start to hear nuances that you never heard before. Singular instruments you didn't know were a part of that song. While for it being a "premium" system I have heard much better and much worse. But doing this made it sound much better and jams.

I was working an automotive manufacturer car show. I spoke to a Bose representative. He said while many automakers used Bose, Nissan - Infiniti were one of the few that had Bose systems designed for the car. He said others like GM simply used Bose components off the shelf and pieced it together themselves. Even he was frustrated as this led to a wild difference in sound quality. Just because you got the Bose name didn't mean you got the engineering and design behind it.

Some of the newer GM trucks are a good example. As soon as you push the system, the bass overpowers everything and turns into mud.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I took it one step further. I'm a techie and what I did completely transformed the system. It didn't just improve it...the sound I have now is basically entirely different but better.

If you have an Android phone AND know how to 'root' it...you can install Viper4Android FX via Magisk (Google all of that if you aren't sure). It's basically an equalizer like you said Spotify has but it's 100x more powerful and granular. Music sounds insane. I used to think I needed to upgrade my system but I don't anymore. More than happy and I'm somewhat of an audiophile (I've also been playing the saxophone for like 22 years so music is in my blood).

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

satown210 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:16 pm
I was working an automotive manufacturer car show. I spoke to a Bose representative. He said while many automakers used Bose, Nissan - Infiniti were one of the few that had Bose systems designed for the car. He said others like GM simply used Bose components off the shelf and pieced it together themselves. Even he was frustrated as this led to a wild difference in sound quality. Just because you got the Bose name didn't mean you got the engineering and design behind it.

Some of the newer GM trucks are a good example. As soon as you push the system, the bass overpowers everything and turns into mud.
Quite true. There was a discussion about this in the Rogue forum two years ago.
Rogue One wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:37 pm
outtolearn88 wrote:Can I ask what you mean by "'It's comprised of components from other brands that the Bose engineers felt produced the best sound in the vehicle.". ?

Thank you for your input.
Sorry, I thought that was self explanatory. Nissan approached the folks at Bose and asked them to design a sound system that would sound good in the Rogue, but they didn't want to pay the premium price for Bose components. The sound engineers picked components that would give a decent sound at the price point Nissan wanted. I don't recall the details from an older thread wherein someone had found out whom had actually made the head unit (Kenwood, I think) and speakers for the 1st gen, but they're not Bose. Make sense?

Bose isn't what they once were, but that was a good 3 decades ago. Nowadays you can't even get basic info from them.
Rogue One wrote:From the Bose website:
Q. Can I get a list of technical specifications?
A. No, because our custom-engineered, complete system solutions largely supersede conventional audio measurements. Even some basic building blocks have been redefined—including amplifiers, speakers and equalizers. But most importantly, our integrated systems deliver results significantly different from those of conventional systems with individual, unmatched components. With a Bose automotive sound system, the location and design of the speakers can be much more important factors in determining output than a wattage power rating. The bottom line? The best way to test a Bose system's sound quality is to use your ears, not a list of specifications.

Hmm, Smoke and mirrors comes to mind. :bs:

CRV_33
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

I have the same system in my M and get tons of compliments especially when I am playing a DVD movie, the surround sound for the car is crazy. There is an option that needs to be activated to turn on the speakers that are integrated in the seats, i know its OFF by default (everytime I disconnect the car battery i always have to toggle through the setting menu to re-activate the seated integrated speakers).

EdBwoy

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
satown210 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:16 pm
... while many automakers used Bose, Nissan - Infiniti were one of the few that had Bose systems designed for the car. He said others like GM simply used Bose components off the shelf and pieced it together...
I remember getting into some GM products and thinking the sound systems put Infiniti to shame, but my criteria at that age was only based on the bass and "punchiness". These days, I get into the M and appreciate the sound. It isn't necessarily going to rattle any windows or trunks, but it is a mature/refined balance that you could listen to at high volume for hours on end. Is it better than Lexus does with the Nakamichi sound? ehhhh...
But I'm no audiophile; just a regular listener who goes to the display screen, checks the boxes & messes with the OEM equalizer and sometimes listens to CDs.

I knew the surround system was cool and movie DVDs do bring it out better, but not until I got one of these Infiniti audio DVDs did I appreciate it fully. In one track, there is a car speeding by from right to left (or left to right :gotme ), and I like to demonstrate it to people in my car. The first time they hear it, everybody is startled and looks up and around to look for the car that sped by.

satown210

I have been looking for one of those test DVDs!

I am Apple so no easy way of rooting.

parkstr8r
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q70S
2016 Gt-R
2018 Audi Q7
2016 Audi S6 (gone)

I have a 2018 and cannot get a DVD to play.... :(

firedog68
Car: Infiniti M37s

can anyone explain how to activate the M speakers in the seat?

walt1227
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

I have found that the best way to get better sound is through using the equalizer built into my phone. I was able to boost the bass settings to a more respectable amount. The overall volume decreases when I do it but it hits much harder.

I have found that playing DVD's have the best sound where it has full punch and sounds like you are in a theater. Makes me want to put some music on a DVD and play it back.

I also found that installing music on the HDD inside the head unit gives a better quality sound than using bluetooth.

satown210

firedog68 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:59 am
can anyone explain how to activate the M speakers in the seat?
It is in settings - audio - surround level

satown210

walt1227 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:22 pm
I have found that the best way to get better sound is through using the equalizer built into my phone. I was able to boost the bass settings to a more respectable amount. The overall volume decreases when I do it but it hits much harder.

I have found that playing DVD's have the best sound where it has full punch and sounds like you are in a theater. Makes me want to put some music on a DVD and play it back.

I also found that installing music on the HDD inside the head unit gives a better quality sound than using bluetooth.
my understanding is that just putting a music onto a dvd won't get you the quality audio. It has to be DVD Audio that was recorded at that level. DVD-Audio exists but is pretty scarce.

satown210

parkstr8r wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:04 am
I have a 2018 and cannot get a DVD to play.... :(
In park with the e-brake pushed.

parkstr8r
2016 Gt-R
2018 Audi Q7
2016 Audi S6 (gone)

Mine won't play. Maybe they deleted it for 2018's?

I tried several different DVDs as well...

satown210

Maybe, you aren't using blueray are you?

parkstr8r
2016 Gt-R
2018 Audi Q7
2016 Audi S6 (gone)

Nope...just reg DVDs from my old collection before I went digital...lol

EdBwoy

parkstr8r wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:51 pm
.., Maybe they deleted it for 2018's?
Parkstr8r, you're correct. The last model year DVD was offered in is 2017.
Honestly, not sure I'm mad about that part by itself. I rarely get to use DVDs in my 2011 because there's no flip-down screen like the previous generation... And audio DVDs are hard to find. Feels gimmicky, unless you did the bypass.

[Off topic]
...and in doing that research to calm my curiosity I found that 2013 would be the last year of 4 wheel active steer on the sport package. Well, I suppose that tempers my plans for the 2018/2019 sport model a little. $80k as I optioned it on the builder

Johnny Means
Car: m56x

I'm wondering what you guys mean by "sound quality". In my Emma, yeah she's got a name, I here details in my music that I never knew were there. I'm talking about stuff I've been listening to for decades. The seat mounted speakers really bring out the details. Sure it doesn't "hit" super hard, but these cars aren't really designed for the teenage crowd.

mrnix
Car: Currently 2012 M37X, Malbec Black
Formerly 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Johnny Means wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:19 pm
I'm wondering what you guys mean by "sound quality". In my Emma, yeah she's got a name, I here details in my music that I never knew were there. I'm talking about stuff I've been listening to for decades. The seat mounted speakers really bring out the details. Sure it doesn't "hit" super hard, but these cars aren't really designed for the teenage crowd.
Ha. teenage. I'm 42 and first thing I did when I got my 2012 M was add a 10 inch ported sub and new amp, disconnecting the Bose one. Front speakers still aren't up to snuff, but I haven't had much chance to mess around with them.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I have the 20096 M35 with what was sold with a "Premium Package" that cost over $9,000 extra. In 2009 dollars, my window sticker says $56,585.00 for a car that began at $45k.
It included rear screen that drops down, climate control;led. reclining rear seats, window shade, and all of the other 'packages like tech, luxury, etc. It was basically a 100% optioned car - minus the sport suspension. My car will play audio from a DVD, but the front screen will not show video if the car isn't in park with the brake on. However, all of my speakers can be heard even if I'm just using XM, FM, or a recorded CD / flash drive. I do not have to turn them ON. I can adjust them in the menu, but they are always ON.
As years went by, Infiniti not only failed to upgrade the system (from 2007), but they also removed options. It's now 12 years later and they still use the same system from 2006 - minus some of the original features. I like my system, but to spend over $65k on a car and have a nearly 20yo sound system does my head in. Even worse, you cannot even get the surround sound unless you add the sport package! Why is a sound system part of a sport package? To have the top grade sound system , you need to add stiffer suspension and handling, and pay $4,000 for it ?
If the 2020 Q70 (or whatever they will call it) is optioned this way, I am definitely in my last Inifniti vehicle. Lexus, Jag, and even Hyundai Genesis have a better sound system than our Infinit Ms and Q70s.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Larz,

The speakers in the M37/M56 are always on. The surround option, when the battery is disconnected, is turned off in the menu and you have to re-enable it. Did you mean "premium" instead of "sport?" I ask because the surround option is available in premium, same as your M35.

satown210

Yeah I read that the systems did change from the M35 to the M37. Previously it had 14 speakers and with the m37 is went to a 16 speaker. Supposedly a lot more work went into the sound stage and it is a new system.

I gotta say if you are saying you will NEVER buy an Infiniti brand again because of a stereo option.....well the term Drama Queen comes to mind.

M37xfan
Car: Traded in 2012 Infiniti M37x

Larz wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:42 am

...As years went by, Infiniti not only failed to upgrade the system (from 2007), but they also removed options...
And it appears that they haven't added anything either....

M37xnut
Car: 2012 m37x

Rush Limbaugh sounds great on my 5.1 deluxe touring Bose system.

Based on a previous post, I decided to increase the surround level and I was impressed by the subtle improvement.
Bee Gees still sound great via pandora / bluetooth. Ha!

satown210

Try Spotify. I found the sound quality over Pandora to be huge.

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

I had no idea you could change the spotify sound quality or that there was an eq in there! Thanks much!

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

EdBwoy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:49 am

..and in doing that research to calm my curiosity I found that 2013 would be the last year of 4 wheel active steer on the sport package. Well, I suppose that tempers my plans for the 2018/2019 sport model a little. $80k as I optioned it on the builder
I would say that may not necessarily be a bad thing, considering how expensive this system is to fix....

EdBwoy

Mjkkb2 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:33 am
EdBwoy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:49 am

..and in doing that research to calm my curiosity I found that 2013 would be the last year of 4 wheel active steer on the sport package. Well, I suppose that tempers my plans for the 2018/2019 sport model a little. $80k as I optioned it on the builder
I would say that may not necessarily be a bad thing, considering how expensive this system is to fix....
Very true. For the type of driving I do, I thoroughly enjoy the RAS functionality and for the extent of DIY I do, I will take the risk of owning the system. I understand that's not everyone's situation.
*Just to be fair, all years have a system available that should help keep the M steady in places where RAS shines even more. It's called Active Trace Control.

I feel like we could say the same quoted statement for any of the extra features that could break though - Climate controlled seats, AFS motors, intelligent cruise control, DCA, automatic windshield wipers, fancy HVAC system, 16 speaker surround sound, etc... But then I'm left wondering why I paid $80k

Satown, pardon my off-topic observation above. If my side-topic needs further discussion, we'll split it from this thread.

Mjkkb2

...no argument here :)

Mjkkb2

getting back to the topic - I am amazed how good the sound system is in the QX60 and how poor my M sounds compared to it. The QX does have a factory SUB in the back well so the system must have been redesign for 2018. Anyone with a 2018 Q70 can confirm if they have a factory sub?

satown210

One thing about Spotify, I find that the equalizer sometimes resets. I'll connect the USB and the music sounds flat. I go back into the equalizer setting of Spotify and it shows it is where I left it but what is playing doesn't match my settings. I just have to toggle one of the bands of the equalizer up or down and it refreshes and you hear the sound quality jump.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”